SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southerngalinnyc

Help me choose a fragrant flowering tree

southerngalinnyc
13 years ago

I'm really not sure where to post this plea for advice but here you go....

I'm working on a plan for the front of my house.

{{gwi:445894}}From front landscaping

{{gwi:445896}}From front landscaping

{{gwi:445897}}From front landscaping

I'd like a flowering, fragrant tree that will add some height and interest without getting too wide. I want to replace the ugly everygreen ball shrub to the left of the bay window ( the bed area in question is about 10 ft wide by 7 ft. deep.

I like the idea of a weeping higgins cherry, a jane magnolia or a japanese apricot...

I would also like to remove the same ugly ball shrub to the right of the bay window and replace it with something with even more height but not too wide like a Cupressus glabra 'Raywood's Weeping', Cedrus atlantica 'Hortsmann' or Picea engelmanii 'Bush's Lace'

What do you think?

Many thanks in a advance!

Cedrus atlantica 'Hortsmann'

Comments (18)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Aesculus turbinata (available at forestfarm) would be 18' tall at 25 years. It's a perfect smaller tree that will continue to grow but at a slow-rate... Aesculus turbinata var. pubescens is another option (available at Reeseville Ridge Nursery - they ship during October and the next time won't be until April) Both have beautiful, flowers and wonderul foliage (huge fans of leaves with gold fall color)... and the fragrance is sweet. These are two of the finest Horse Chestnut's around. Here's a link to some very nice photos. Lastly, I'll just say, the squirrels will get to the seed before you do so they're really not as messy as some might think. And, a real nice attribute is that the seed-husks are nearly, without spines.

a different option than usually posted...

Moving on:
    I'm going to say that while Bush's Lace spruce is a great choice, it actually becomes larger in width than most people may realize. Currently Coenosium Gardens is offering Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' which is a much better suited plant for that location. It's a beautiful blue color as well with the striking turned needles exposing the blueish-white understides. It sparkles blue instead of being blue.

The last shrub on the left I would not keep either, but I would re-plant with an broadleaf evergreen. Something that I haven't thought of for quite some time is an Escollonia...
    if that area has a good micro-climate, I'd go for it.
    Pink Princess Escallonia
    Escallonia x exoniensis 'Fradesii' (needs regular water Z7).

Dax

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

If fragrant tea olive is hardy for you, I'd suggest that. Osmanthus fragrans is the scientific name.

• skoobedoo
    13 years ago

Osmanthus fragrans might not be hardy enough, but Osmanthus heterophyllus might be. Though not trees, one could mistake it for a holly, yet its fragrance arrives in the fall. And it is quite heady. I have encountered the fall fragrance more than once, and always try to track down the plant. If you can open those bay windows, I can just imagine it bathing your home in fragrance.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow,
    Thanks so much, you guys (gals) are great!
    Dax,
    That Chestnut tree is really beautiful and I too am a fan of fall interest, but it sure does look like it gets awfully wide...the space I have is only about 10 ft. so I need something that stays fairly narrow. is there something I am missing re the type you are recommending? I didn't mention it but my living room doesn't get much light and I am a bit worried about blocking so much light that my indoor ficus will not make it but I guess I'll have to see)
    I originally wanted to put in something like a kousa dogwood but again they get so wide and I really do want some fragrance...

By the way the azaleas in front of the bay window have got to go... so despite the fact that we are in the tree forum if you have any ideas for that bring em on... i was originally thinking about something like an otto luyken laurel or maybe an elderberry black lace for some color...

I absolutely love the gotelli weeping for the right side of the bay window. Looks like a great call. thank you.

If I can impose on you some more. I have a follow up for you on your comment on replacing the last shrub on the left.
    Can you look at this link again {{gwi:445898}}From front landscaping

and tell me which one you meant? ( I am thinking it was this row that runs perpendicular to the front of the house but I am not sure)
    {{gwi:445899}}From front landscaping
    {{gwi:445900}}From front landscaping

I think the Pink Princess Escallonia (which is also really lovely) won't survive my winters in zone 6b/7.

And Esh ga and skoobedoo thanks for the tea olive recommendations... I had forgotten about them. I was scarred as a child by hollies but I think the Osmanthus burkwoodii might work in my zone without the pricklies...

Perhaps a good option for the row that borders the left side of the yard.

Thanks again!

• gardener365
    13 years ago

We can work with any space.

I see your question in the opened photo of "Are these the shrubs you were talking about replacing" the answer is no. I was talking only of the two (Juniperus?) that you wish to remove. The L (juniper) was where I originally was hoping you'd go for the Escallonia.

Now, I need to understand what you're going to do with that (Weeping Mulberry? - is that what it is?) And where is the tree we are talking of adding, actually going... will the mulberry be removed?

I see (it's too small of a photo) - one azalea... are the two shrubs L of the Yellow daylily (2) azaleas? one is pruned as a box, the other is more rounded like a 'PJM' rhododendron...

Add if you would, labels on all the shrubs, please. Also, an X or some marker where you think the new tree will go, if necessary.

Best Regards,

Dax

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

Osmanthus fragrans thunbergii is supposed to be more cold hardy than others. The fragrance from them is hard to beat. You will have neighbors asking where it is coming from. Very powerful fragrance that wafts around in the fall.

China has better cultivars esp the ones with bigger flowers and repeat often most of the year. I heard around 300 days but I guess it depends on the location. I also read that it has more powerful fragrance than typical regular ones. A pure red one is highly sought over as well. Perhaps one day, all of these that China had been cultivating for 2000 years will be available in USA.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Daphne Summer Ice I didn't recommend prior because you had variegated shrubs, however this could be very complimentary. It's fragrant; has an extremely long bloom time... longer than any Daphne, I know of.

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Maybe this garden will help you find inspiration.

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I got it: and it's such an easy answer:
    Heptacodium miconioides - seven sons flower.

Dax

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dax,
    My apologies. So I am not the best with putting notes on these photos... nor, clearly am I very good at identifying these plants. And obviously would starve as either an artist or designer...

I have attempted to mark the photo with notes on the shrubs and where I want the flowering tree on the left and the conifer on the right. (my hubbie is the one who really wants the conifer) So I may be trying to accomplish too much in this pretty small space. I just think the beds need some height since the house is so tall and narrow.

There is a hodgepodge of other plants as this used to be a rental house(you correctly noted a lone daylily, there is a winter sweet lost behind one of the juniperus bushes and other random plants that I can relocate, etc.)

Basically, everything is up for replacement with the exception of the peonies, and what you think is some type of weeping mulberry (again, I am not a fan of this tree and would prefer to see it go but that may be a tough sell with my husband and it is the only plant in any semblance of decent shape)

I was simply going to start with taking out the juniperus bushes (because they are overgrown and imho don't have any very attractive qualities)and then go from there... probably better to have more of a plan.

If you click on this photo, hopefully it will open up large enough so that you can read my attempt at notes.
    {{gwi:445901}}From front landscaping

Any sage advice is VERY much appreciated...Thanks ever so much!
    Take care,
    e

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link to all the photos

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really am blown away by how kind you all are!

Lou, thank you so much for the heads up on the thunbergii I will look for that also noticed that the semperflorens is supposed to be pretty hardy and long blooming. ( I miss all my gardenias and jasmine from the south and can't wait to get something wafting through the air and turning heads)

Dax, thank you again. What pretty specimens you keep pointing me towards. I've never heard of the seven sons. It really does seem to have so many interests for so many seasons. BTW, Is that your garden?

I better get busy!
    Cheers!
    e

• gardener365
    13 years ago

First of all let me just say that you have an excellent eye. All that brick will now have a face of plants.

There's no doubt in my mind that Picea omorika Gotelli Weeping is an exact fit and so is Heptacodium miconiodes - replacing those (2) Junipers. I can partially see a leaf on that little-pruned, weeper and it's a Mulberry.

I've printed your photos and will look at them today. ...Heptacodium I've known for maybe five years and will smell as sweet as Jasmine and during late-summer... what a bonus!

Later,

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Sorry mowed for six hours yesterday and napped for two. I'll look at it today.

That garden is a lady's who used to post here at GW, but I haven't seen her for many years.

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

That took me all of five minutes. I should have done it earlier. Hope you like it or can draw some inspiration from it...

The Wooly Thyme is too much I think.

Dax

{{gwi:445902}}

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

I've never noticed that heptacodium has a fragrance. I'm going out to look at it again with my nose in the air....
    marie

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dax,
    You blow me away. Sorry for my tardy reply, I've been away on business. Thank you so much for your thoughtful design. Looking forward to getting some of this stuff in the ground. I found the heptacodium and am excited about it... I do have a follow up question. Hope it's not too obvious. I'm not sure exactly what the 51 is that you've drawn below the Gotelli Weeping...
    Thanks ever so much for your help and wisdom.
    e

• gardener365
    13 years ago

oh, five foot.

You're "v"elcome!

Dax

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I would second the recommendation for Daphne x transatlantica 'Summer Ice.' Its leaves are delicately edged in white and around here (central NH) it keeps some of its leaves all winter. Mine this year started blooming before the crocuses in late March or early April (?) and has continued without pause until now, though we have yet to have a frost. It is scented. One of my favorite plants!