SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eureka_gw

Trouble w/Mr Lincoln tree

eureka
15 years ago

Abe started looking sickly a couple months ago. No bugs, I use systemic rose food from Feb thru Sept. I know that may not be a popular choice but it is the only way to have even a few decent blooms. I'm in the HiDesert of the Mojave in an area that is relativly newly built with lots of additional building going on. Prior to our area being built, this was open desert w/little rain fall, arid winds, hot summers, winters down to 17. The soil is heavy clay that I have gradually been working on to loosen up. I have about 5 inches of lose, good top soil now. Watering is a challenge as the water does not nesessarily travel straight down and it can collect in areas and other areas will be dry. I find a white fungus in my soil in one part of my planter bed which is a cultural problem of too much water in heavy clay that takes quite awhile to dry out. I dug around Abe and did find the fungus around his roots so I cleared out most of the soil, put new in along w/powdered milk as milk will fight fungus really well. There is no fungus visible in the soil now. However the bark on the rose is very bumpy and knarly. The bark has pulled away even, in some areas. I lifted some of it today and found that the interior or what was under the bark looks powdered as if eaten by something. Ants were crawling around the area. Ants are just part of the environment here. I have pest service for the house but to clear the yards would be impossible so the little stinkers will attempt to protect aphids and mites to enjoy the necter of flowering plants. I have some very good books on roses but none of them address this current issue. Any ideas would be helpful.

Comments (7)