SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soaphands

Liquidambar health concern

soaphands
10 years ago

I have a question regarding what I believe to be a Liquidambar in my front yard (San Diego Area). I have two of these big trees (over 30 ft) right next to each other, one south, the other on its north side, a sidewalk separates them by about 30-40 ft. I did not plant them, the house was built in the 40's and I think they were planted perhaps around that time, but I honestly do not know for sure.

The one on the south side has already dropped its leaves, and what leaves do remain appear wilted, and only a few green and brown "spike balls" remain on the branches. The northern tree is still green with a few leaves turning for fall.

Earlier this year we did have carpenter bees nest in the problematic tree, but we removed the branch they were in and haven't had any bees since. Additionally, I have noticed for about a year now occasional a yellowy foamy, yet hard to the touch, looking substance on the base of the tree. It appears on the roots and base of the tree only. Initially, I thought it was a strange mushroom so I would just pull it off, but I am now concerned it may be the cause of the tree's condition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to do everything I can to save this tree as it provides great shade when it does have its leaves. Last year the trees both lost their leaves at the same time, sometime in October, without any problems.

I have included a picture of the trees next to each other, I can provide better detailed pictures if needed.

My next door neighbor has the identical tree to the north of our "north tree", and it also has no issues.

Comments (12)