SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angies66

Screen of trees - long, rambling questions

angies66
13 years ago

I live next door the local high school football field. There is a road in between our properties that belongs to the school. It is full of traffic and pedestrians during games, and when school is letting out. I have never had much of a problem with the noise from the field, other than band practice on Saturday mornings. A year or two ago, the school changed "divisions" (i think that is what it is called, not into sports) and now they play much, much larger school districts. That means ALOT more noise than there use to be, and alot more people. My property is not fenced, so some of the drivers on the road actually drive right through my yard and out my driveway trying to avoid traffic.

I want to plant a tree screen. To block as much noise as possible, keep people and their cars out of my yard, and also provide a windbreak and shelter for wildlife. These trees need to be evergreen, obviously, since the school activities occure during the fall and winter. What do I plant?

The area in question faces north. The area that I want to plant in is 140 feet long. I plan on planting the trees about 23 feet from the road. I would like to plant them as close to my property line as possible, but there are power lines overhead. If I plant them 23 feet from the road, from the center of that "spot" it is 86 feet from the front of my house. So I do have a little room to make adjustments. If the tree canopies will be wide I will have to move them closer in my property line. I still want to keep the "screen" as far from my house (and as close to my property line) as possible. According to some charts I am zone 6, and others say I am zone 7.

I love southern magnolias, but afraid that the straight north winds in winter would be too much for them, and their slow growth rate is not a plus. I love Hollies??, but they all seem to be shrubs. The few Hollies that I have seen as trees seem very sparse also. I need dense trees to help block noise. I am not a fan of pine trees at all. They are too light colored, to sparse, and I just do not like them....at all! Lol. I have been thinking Leyland Cypress trees. I like the idea of their fast growth rates, but I have heard they are not great trees.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what to plant? Even better, TELL me what to plant, lol. I am a total newbie on this subject. I have no idea what to do. I will be going to nurseries this week, and would really like to be planting trees next weekend.

Comments (20)