SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Training a weeping cherry?

10 years ago

I visited my local nursery to purchase a Lavender Twist redbud and while I was there, the weeping cherries caught my eye. They had some grafted 'Pendula' that were supposed to get 10' tall and they had some no-name "double pink weeping cherry" that were supposed to get 20' per the tag. I got caught up in the moment as they were doing 50% off their trees and purchased one of the no name trees as I wanted something larger. I picked one that as about 5' tall and all of the branches are clearly weeping with none standing out from a point. I wish I had checked whether they were grafted or not, I assumed they were since the weeping was all coming above a specific point but I may be wrong.

My concern lies in the fact that I have no idea how to train this tree as it grows. The Redbud I can simply stake up to the height I want it and let it weep from there but this cherry tree had nothing that resembled a leader above a certain point. I guess I am concerned that I will have weeping branches starting at 5' and going to 25' and that doesn't sound right. Can anyone point me to some resources on what to do with weepers this size and what I would do differently if it were grafted vs not grafted?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (12)