SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

oak tree roots

I have a low area of the yard between the house and the island bed out front and I would like to raise the level of that area to make it level with the island bed and add a hosta garden. There are two large oaks in front of the house approximately 20 feet from the house within the island bed. There were three oaks, all more than 50 years old and at least 50 feet tall, but we lost one closer to the street to borers two years ago. These trees are beautiful and one of the reasons we bought the house-okay, okay...all the oaks front and back are the only reason we bought the house...so we would not want to do anything that could damage them. I have read here and elsewhere that one shouldn't add soil above oak roots as it could smother and eventually kill the tree. Does this apply to the entire area within the drip line? If so, I will have to work with the low area and amend the clay soil minimally in order to protect the trees. That is fine with me, but if it would do no harm, I'd rather add 4-5 inches to this area. What do you say?

Cynthia

Comments (5)