SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

another..sigh.. girdling roots

greyandamy
11 years ago

Okay, I think never again will I get any type of container anything.. the root issue astounds me..

I've read about correcting, fixing... is it normal after they have been cut (if needed, most needed) or manipulated to have a great death rate? It's almost like after trying to correct (some major, awful issues) if I don't pot up for awhile and wait, it will die (rot usually)... how do you guys do it???

Also, I've read all about it, and yet sometimes hear or am told that typically roots girdling like an inch or more below the plant isn't as bad?? I can't see how, and I've read that if they are twisting, if you make a cut (and don't attempt to straighten, they'll naturally grow out into soil????? I've had to mutilate some things, and i'm into the barerooting mode to get the most, and yet, it takes literally hours (I'm slow?).. and it just seems like.. it's ridiculous..

Do balled and burlapped not suffer this issue (though I've seen some AWFUL AWFUL CLAY they grow them in and I can't imagine putting that in the garden! I hear they establish slower since most of roots cut... but by the time I've hacked at mine, I figure it's the same..

Last year I tried to root prune too late in season (due to unusual warmth and thus the cool/wet rotted most all, is it more damaging to the feeder roots than the big storage roots that can literally be strangling the tree? Most plants I have purchased have been planted (how?) so deep, that it's too easy to plant too deep..

I've heard some things transplant so easily (river birch- killed it)... fibrous rooted viburnums, umm.. mine had large non fiber roots that were kinked and choking... summersweet (killed two).. Is there anything that you can just throw in the ground (fibrous?) and let be... ninebark and abelias (Still in containers) seem to be only things I've found..

amy

Comments (10)