SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

When does a hobby become an obsession!?!

Well, back from Calif in one piece and came home to mixed Hippi "news". Christmas gift had apparently bloomed on Christmas day (cool, eh?) and was nearly "spent" last night. Petals are becoming translucent, etc. Would have liked to have a photo, but that will need to wait until next year.

President Johnson was in fine form with 4 new HUGE blooms, and just the slightest pink/red around the edge of each petal. Sadly, he had some big time mushiness, so I peeled, scrubed and repotted. Also there was a nice size (golf-ball) offset with lovely roots so that was detached and potted up. He looks much happier.

Elvas was a disappointment. Only 1 bloom of 4 opened and the rest "aborted". It's a lovely bloom, but so heavy that it's looking down and sad. The bloom is past its prime, but I can tell it was nice.

Vera is blooming and looks great. There was a little mushiness to her bulb too and that got the same inspection as PJ and was corrected by peeling 1 layer off.

Exotica, Limona, and others are sending out their 3rd scapes and so they will all be blooming again soon.

I potted up some of the sleeping bulbs (Lilac Wonder and 2 mystery replacements for Piquant) as well as my White Dazzler that I got in Calif.

I shuffled around some of the pots and put dormant bulbs on lower shelves were they won't get as much sun. Bulbs with any green leafs are still getting light, but only Lima and Papilio are getting water (except for bulbs with active scape growth).

I got so much done this morning, but worked (in my jammies - the joys of living alone...no one to call me "lazy") for over 2 hours. I also turned the compost pile...and swept the patio and inspected the yard before I bring the dogs home (in an hour).

WHEW....well, I am certainly enjoying the fruits of all this labor so will keep it up!! None of the seed pods ripened while I was gone so all the caps were removed (much easier than putting them on!!).

Will post tonight. Need to move laundry around and change to clothes to go get the furkids!

:-) HAPPY SATURDAY!!

Kristi

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions