SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Anthracnose and Sycamore Trees

13 years ago

Is Anthracnose a really big problem with American Sycamore trees or is it more of a regional problem? I am considering planting a couple of sycamore trees, but I am somewhat concerned about this Anthracnose disease. I live in South Central Kansas and there are hundreds of American sycamore trees in this part of the State. I have not seen a single sycamore tree with any symptoms of Anthracnose nor have I heard any reports of it in this area, and I have lived here most of my life. Many of these sycamore trees are over 100 years old. I know that this does not mean that there is no danger of Anthracnose in my area, but does this mean that there is not a high probability of there being an outbreak in my area?

Most people do not take care of their sycamore trees. They don't water them during droughts. They don't mulch them, fertilize them or even treat them with a fungicide. Could this mean that this part of the State doesn't have the right set of elements to support an outbreak?

I hear a lot of people talking about Anthracnose and sycamore trees as if you plant one then you are bound to get the Anthracnose disease eventually.

Some people even suggest planting London plane trees instead of sycamores, but I have heard that they are susceptible to the Anthracnose disease as well, plus I donÂt like the look of the London plane tree as much as the sycamore tree.

Do you think it is safe to plant an American sycamore tree?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor