SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chippy_gw

Alta Magnolia needs to be moved. Opinions please!

chippy
16 years ago

Hi All,

I had asked this awhile back in this forum but couldn't find the post, but I have more specifics and concerns now.

I had planted a 6 ft Magnolia Alta in my back yard. The spot its in is way too tight and would need to be trimmed constantly. I would rather have it on my front lawn as well as its a nice tree.

Anyway, I planted it about May of 06 and has grown about 2ft so far.

I would like to move it.

I'm am reading soooo many different things on the net. So here are my questions:

1. When is the best time? I'm reading in the Fall and in the Spring and both have their arguments.

2. Its been in the ground a little over a year and is about 8ft tall, how hard do you think it will be? Will the roots be all over the ground already?

3. Ive read that the roots grow much wider than the tree. Are the roots dangerous? The place where I will be planting it has my main water line and gas line below it (forgot how deep, whatever the code is). Can the roots affect the gas or water line?

4. I think thats it. Like a dope I planted it in a corner of my backyard with my neighbors garage right next to it and utility pole nearly right above it!!

Any suggestions or opinions will be appreciated.

Thank you!

-Chip

Comments (3)