SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
totallyconfused2

Help With Tree Selection

totallyconfused
12 years ago

I need to remove and replace 3 native dogwoods and am looking for advice as to what to replace them with. The trees are part of a bed that serves as a buffer between our house and the house behind us (flag lot, so our backyard is their front yard). Also occupying the bed are 3 azaleas, 2 japanese hollies and a ton of random perennials, some of which will need to be dug up to allow the removal guys a clear path to the trees. I would like to stick with fairly small trees because of the proximity to the neighbor's house.

The one nursery we visited that didn't just try to hoist their leftovers on us suggested the following:Serviceberry, Fringe Tree, Eastern Redbud, or Hawthorn. My thoughts so far are that I don't want the Hawthorn because of the thorns. I do a lot of planting in this bed and don't want to be bumping up against a sharp plant. I don't care for the flowers on Redbuds, plus I keep reading that they are short-lived and I don't want to have to replace these trees again. I haven't been able to find much info on the Fringe Tree. I was leaning towards Serviceberry until I began to read about all the foliage problems. I would appreciate thoughts on the trees I have mentioned, as well as any additional suggestions.

Also, the one nursery quoted us price of $300 apiece for 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" caliper Serivceberries or Fringe Trees. Does this sound reasonable, or should I shop around? I'm probably going to hold off on planting until spring, when the selection is better.

Thanks in advance

Totally Confused

Comments (10)