Her qualities are so numerous, one can not name them all, but just a few

Keeper of Dirt Day and Friends of Vintage

{{gwi:329407}}

Excellent artist, poet and photographer

{{gwi:329408}}

Great Gardener

{{gwi:329409}}

Top Chef

(See, everyone is happy and there is no food left)

{{gwi:329410}}

And some qualities that don't show, warmth, love, care and a great friend who is always there for you.

Happy Birthday dear one.

{{gwi:329411}}

With love,

Carol

And The Howlin Huskies

Comments (38)

• 15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy Birthday to a very special rosy friend. I wish you olive bread and parsnip ravioli and bunches and bunches of roses! I know you like dark red, so here is Souvenir du Docteur Jamain for you:
    {{gwi:231512}}
    Love & Hugs,
    Joanne

• 15 years ago

Oh Luanne, I hope you have a wonderful birthday. A bit of rain, somebody still bloomimg in the yard and enough chocolate to perk things up.

Love, Karen and Bill

• Related Discussions

Memory of my days in LA

Q

Comments (8)
    Its funny how the desire to nurture and grow plants and then revel in the experience seems to be coded into our genes. Gardenweb shows the urge runs from folks like me on the wide open plains to high rise apartment dwellers downtown cities, and to you, in LA. Good looking job with those sunflowers... and cat!
    ...See More

I have a pressure canner la la la

Q

Comments (3)
    What a great gift! I think stock would be ideal to start with. My only suggestion is to check your canner manual against the instructions at the NCHFP site. Canner manuals aren't updated very often and can be out of sync with the most recent recommendations. Be sure to vent a full 10 minutes and check to see if your manual mentions the appropriate wait time at the end. "After the canner is completely depressurized, remove the weight from the vent port or open the petcock. Wait 10 minutes; then unfasten the lid and remove it carefully. Lift the lid with the underside away from you so that the steam coming out of the canner does not burn your face." So in total you have the time needed to build pressure+the venting time+processing time+holding time at the end. In total it's a lot longer than the time listed on the charts. Carol Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken or Turkey Stock
    ...See More

Hail Damage -- Pics from day of damage, 4 weeks later, 8 weeks la

Q

Comments (2)
    I remember when you posted when this happened, nice to know all was not lost......They look beautiful.........One yr (when I lived on the other side of the mountains) I had put miracle grow potting soil in the holes that I planted a couple plants. I covered @ night religiously, but it still on 3 different occasions they frosted to the ground...Notice I said it was 3 times this happened. I thought they were gone each time but they were on a soaker hose that had other plants to take care of. Next thing I knew, I'd have tiny mater plants comin' back. They did start to set, but just didn't have enough time to come ripe. (winter comes early and quickly some yrs over there) Point being, sometimes, maters act like 'the little train that could'.............Good for you........T (fingers crossed you get a decent yield)
    ...See More

Craft of the Day ~ 21 DIY Gifts for Co-Workers and Neighbors {las

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Joann! I'm going to see if I can try one of these.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

I was blessed on the day I met you, and I will always thank you, and the day, I sighed and said "there are over 100 modern rosebushes on the property we're renting and none are fragrant" and you answered
    "you should try growing Old Garden Roses"
    I'm one of the choir now,and I owe it all to you.
    Happy Birthday!
    "Live long and prosper" is as good a blessing as any, and god bless you, all you see, and all that you love, especially Bicou, and norman, and your lovely garden that is a beacon of beauty to your neighbors.

Love you, love your dry sense of humor, and plentiful virtues.

Lorene

• 15 years ago

Happy Birthday, Luanne. So happy to be able to count you among my friends.

Randy

"Norm"
    {{gwi:329412}}

• 15 years ago

Happy Birthday, Luanne!!!. Wish your the best Birthday, lots of fun, smiles and friends around.

Olga

• 15 years ago

Happy Birthday to you!

Judith

Jacques Cartier

{{gwi:241476}}

• 15 years ago

Yes, her garden is glorious, but let us not forget the wonderful food. Some of you may not know what a marvelous cook our LA is.

Happy birthday, Luanne. Don't forget our many road trips and the friends we met along the way.

{{gwi:329413}}

Rosefolly

• 15 years ago

Happy Birthday Luanne. Thank you for your friendship. I hope you have a glorious birthday. Here's a bouquet for you -

{{gwi:329414}}

I love this photo of you at the NYBG. That foliage behind you makes you look like an exotic fan dancer!

{{gwi:329415}}

• 15 years ago

Luanne,
    We've never met, and I hope we will one day, but I hear a lot of good things about you, so: Happy Birthday! December 14th sounds like a day on which SOMETHING ought to be celebrated, and obviously your birthday was chosen for the honor. I'm so thankful for you and all the other expert gardeners on the forum who share their knowledge and experience--and their wonderful photos--with everyone who comes, with generosity and humility: a democracy of gardeners.

Happy birthday!

Melissa

• 15 years ago

Happy Birthday, LA! We've shared many adventures, from the streets of NYC to the hills of California. What fun we had and what wonderful memories I have of shopping, cooking, walking what seemed like hundreds of miles and just laughing and talking with you. May this year be filled with health and happiness. I agree with Fang, you are the most wonderful cook! Oh, and your garden is amazing, especially your MAC. I've never seen one more beautiful!

Love this photo

{{gwi:329416}}

{{gwi:268945}}

I wish you many, many blessings this year
    Carolina

• 15 years ago

LA - I'm so glad I didn't miss your day. Wishing you a year of basals and blooms!

{{gwi:234974}}

Love you,

George

• 15 years ago

Happy Birthday, dear Youngster! You are loved and respected by everyone here, and I know it ain't just the food :)

{{gwi:327920}}
    (Billy Bob and some big onions.)

Love
    Jon

• 15 years ago

I hope your day is absolutely beautiful, Luanne!

{{gwi:329417}}

• 15 years ago

Happy Natal Day, Little Bird Who Hears The Roses! You are always an inspiration, always a light, always a friend. May this day and the year ahead bring you every possible joy and may your pleasures overflow. Some reds from Renton, just for you.

{{gwi:329418}}
    Scharlachglut

{{gwi:329420}}
    James Mason

{{gwi:329421}}
    Doorenbos Selection

{{gwi:329422}}
    Henri Martin

Love,
    Sue

• 15 years ago

Dear Luanne,

Well in honor of your day today....I decided to go all out and decorate the entire front yard with some 3,000+ lights!

Upon finishing this task...imagine my surprise when I glanced at my neighbor's homes up and down my street and discovered just how popular you are up here in Canton MI. ;)

Love you! Hope you have a wonderful day!
    John

• 15 years ago

I love you guys and it rained all day today. What more could a girl ask on her birthday than the kind blessings and assurances of her dearest friends and the blessed rain falling soakingly down. John, my dear,how did you ever get your whole street to put up all those lights just for me? In less economically stressed times Id guess common bribery but I'm totally mystified.
    Carol you and the huskies are second to none. How the internet has filled mylife with the most wonderful people. How many people up close do I know that truely love the things I love, gardens, roses,beauty, poetry and great humans. Thank you oldest and first Dirt Day partner, back when there were but two of us.
    Sue you light up whatever group you are illuminating at that moment and I am honored to know you are my friend. When I think of the great people who have graced my guest room, there is nothing but delight.
    Thank you Gail, so much.
    John you have not had my pumpkin mascarpone cheesecake with gingersnap crust and vanilla bean sour cream but I trust your discrimination and am happy to think more of my friends than it is only gluttony that binds us, horrible thought. You are another of the happy gifts of the web and one of my favorites.
    George it wouldn't be a good enough birthday without you.
    Carol, you made my day and thank you for that flattering picture. Words can't express....I know all the things of which you speak, they are written indeliably in my heart. Thank you for recalliing them--give Beau a bd kiss for me.
    Melissa we are indeed lucky. I feel like some charactor in a fairy tale who while stumbling around lost in the wilderness stumbled on a magical garden and the most remarkable friends. A happy accident I think they used to call this miracle we how have. I do hope to see your garden one day and meet your warm, salty, earthy self.
    Paula our road trips have been spectacular from South Carolina to Upland CA, what friends we've made, goats we've petted, food we've eaten and roses we've encouraged each other with.
    Jackie you are two kind, I have never come close to looking like a fan dancer but those leaves certainly are the right ornaments. I have photos of those very lotuses---funney how they change from lens to lens. I so enjoyed our time together.
    Judith, thank you for the lovely JC, what a fine rose!
    Olga you are so good, all of your birthday wishes came true.
    Randy, I am honored to be your friend and always enjoy your perfect southern manners and warm courtesy. Norman is looking good. He just came in admired your rose and said"Now who would dig up a nice rose like that?"
    Loren, very kind of you. Thank you.
    Kaye I got all you wished me and the chocolate mascarpone cheesecake, gingersnap crust(I'm into something here) was the perfect chocolate. Thank you for all your love.
    Joanne that rose has always been a particular favorite of mine and I don't grow it. I'm sure at least one or two of those wishes will come true next time I see you, I am determined that no blood will be shed!
    Fang, you are such a dear friend. Thank you,again. I so love my birthday threads.!
    la

• 15 years ago

Oops, dang I can't believe I missed your birthday dear friend! I hope you had the happiest one ever!
    {{gwi:329423}}

• 15 years ago

'Tis the season and with it comes the birthday celebration of a longtime friend. One of the moments I cherish was when you questioned "fixin'??" as I was explaining our adventure crossing the Red River from TX to AR.

Your turn to visit..

• 15 years ago

Luanne, I hope your day was sufficiently celebrated. You with your prose and gorgeous roses make the forums most special. Happy Birthday.

Carla

• 15 years ago

Kaye, that's too funny!! And I thought LA had southern roots.

• 15 years ago

Hamp I did indeed and these birthday posts so overflowing with affection, and roses as beautiful as your M. Tillier have got to be my favorite. Kaye I know it is my turn to visit, just don't know how or when. Carol fm has taught me all the nuances of fixin' and I know the English language absolutely needed the word to describe the pre preparation state, like when you're bouncing up and down to shift your butt out of aa chair, or when you're adjusting your aim before you aim. I love that word.Daddy never used it, Texan that he was and Granny Mac the real southern dowager didn't seem to use it much so as you can plainly see, I was very poorly brought up although truth to tell it is kind of fun to yank Kaye's chain just a little, now it's clear that I was badly reared.
    Thank you Carla, I always appreciate, appreciation.
    la

• 15 years ago

Let me wish you a very happy belated birthday! As Paula mentioned, you are one spectacular chef and the kindest of souls. Hope you continue to enjoy the warm glow from all your friends and family, and that you have a great year ahead of you!

--Ron

• 15 years ago

LA, I'm glad he liked my NM. Funny thing is my NM has a very, very long arm scooting across the ground with side shoots snaking around all along its length, complete with flowers on the ground. I think of the fate of your NM every time I look at it, and get a good laugh. I just can't bring myself to getting rid of that errant arm. There's lots of pure garden space there, so no grass/weedeater issues, so this lucky NM gets the pamper treatment he didn't get on the west coast, lol :-)

Randy

• 15 years ago

Luanne, I am sorry I missed the official day. You go to work everyday for a week and look what happens. Just because you are a kind soul, great chef, fantastic photographer and generous with rosy knowledge does not excuse my missing your day.

Lance

• 15 years ago

Luanne, I can't believe I missed this post! I hope you had a very special day. As others have said you are a very special person. I am lucky to have met you and count you amoung my friends.
    Lori

• 15 years ago

Dearest Luanne, What can I say that's good enough for you? What a rare lovely precious rose you are. Thank you for every kind word and deed. There have been many of them. And thank you too for every joy we have shared. Happy Birthday!
    This is my favorite photo of you . I hope you don't mind that I stoled it.
    {{gwi:329425}}

• 15 years ago

I hope you had such a happy day, and congratulations on the rain! That's a great present, indeed. I always enjoy your funny, informative posts. Thanks!

• 15 years ago

Thank you redbirds, the rain was the one thing I wanted with all my heart and it continues unabated today. So along as there is still rain I see that my birthday continues and therefore Lance is forgiven quite easily and freely. We are gardeners, not executioners! Thank you Lance, I'm very happy to receive good wishes from you, at any time. We're always hoping you'll make it to another Dirt Day.
    Pam I love that photo, wonder who took it, obviously, I am the one who stole it and it is such an honor to share back to back birthdays with you. It only seems to increase our sisterhood.I share and return the same respect and affection. You are so loved.
    Lori thank you so much. It is always a delight to meet up with you!
    Randy my shameless husband was only amused by your post and in no way promised to behave more kindly in the future, but continues to arrange my garden to suit his weedwhacker.As you may guess he must have many redeeming qualities...many.
    Thank you Ron, of the beautiful beds
    Merry Christmas to all of you and a brilliant New Year of good bloom and adequate water.
    love,
    la

• 15 years ago

Happy Birthday to a great lady, photographer, roser and garden hat trend setter. You are very special to all of us Luanne.

Harry

{{gwi:220544}}

• 15 years ago

What a beautiful rose, Harry, you are always so gallant. Thank you.
    la

• 15 years ago

Forgive me for being late, Luanne....hope your Birthday, was a wonderful one.

• 15 years ago

(panting, running hard to catch up) Wait--me too. I want to wish Luann Happy Birthday too. I have so enjoyed her rose pics and whimsies and good cheer on this forum.

Happy Birthday, LuAnn!

Kate

• 15 years ago

Late to the party as usual. Happy Birthday dear friend, I hope it was the best ever

• 15 years ago

I always like the late ones-they make the party last so much longer. Thank you for your good wishes and warm feelings, Kate, Rozanna and Melva. And yes it was the best birthday ever.
    la

• 15 years ago

And I missed this somehow in my dash to the finish line for Christmastime. How could I, and should I have missed this beautiful celebration, the birthday of our Luanne, definitely queen for the day of our own rose ball.

May everyday be a rose ball and may everyday your own day to be queen. Great chef, great herself, a great rosarian and prosarian, and may our Luanne have the best life has to offer for now and the next 100 birthday years.

• 15 years ago

Oh dearest Patricia, a hundred years? One wonders what life has to offer a 161 year old person. How fun could it be without all of you? Now if you promise to be there, I could be persuaded...love you way above average.
    la

• 15 years ago

Oh dear!! I cant believe I didnt see this. Belated happy birthday to someone who definitely makes this world a nicer place to live in!!

Mari

• 15 years ago

This is delicious, I pop in once a day to check this and the trailers keep showing up. How nice to hear from you Mari. Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year to all of you.
    la