SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

A Tough and Gigantic Rose?

I never thought I'd have room for a really big monster rose, but I may have need for one now. The neighbor's home, which is admittedly rather far away, has become more visible since a tree and a large shrub that helped to screen it have died due to lack of adequate rainfall. It occurred to me that this would be an opportunity for me to finally have a really large rose that would provide a screen and also possibly give a home to birds (or possibly roof rats?). I do have a short hose there now so it would have water but hopefully wouldn't require an awful lot.

This rose would need to be tall and solid, and a very fast grower in a climate that doesn't really seem to encourage rapid growth. A remontant rose would be nice but not an absolute requirement for this situation. It should look natural, not something with large and blowsy double blooms, and should have a soft color. Vicious thorns are less desirable, unless other positive considerations override that negative. Fast-growing, as mentioned,would be a huge positive.

I welcome any suggestions but especially from those who live in a similarly dry and difficult environment.

Ingrid

Comments (36)