SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaguar325_gw

Late-season borer treatment for Dogwood?

jaguar325
14 years ago

I have a relatively good-sized gray Dogwood (approx. 2.5" caliper) that suffered some bark damage in the spring (likely due to Chipmunks that we caught gnawing on it). This caused about 1/4 of the crown to not leaf-out and I have spent all summer trying to coax it back to life. Just when I thought it was coming along pretty well, I now notice that it's got borer holes down in the lower part of the trunk (lower 5-6 feet) and I am sure this is not helping matters.

Is there something I can do this late in the year to treat for borers? We treat some of our trees with Bayer systemic pest control in the spring but, unfortunately, this was not one of the trees that got it.

Thoughts on what I should do? I would hate to lose this one as it is established in a raised bed on the corner of my house and would be a major pain to replace. I have also noticed widespread leaf-curl and premature turning of leaf color in the past 2 weeks - not sure if this is related to the stress the tree has been under all year or the borers.

Thanks!

Comments (3)