Okra

Melon

Pumpkin

Cucumber

Zinnia

Comments (28)

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

I have alot left to sow - this has been a very sporadic winter/spring sowing year for me. I have my mother home with me under hospice care. With 6 living children and their families coming in for visits - I am either entertaining company or getting ready for a new group to come in. After this weekends company leaves I am going to do.......

nastursiums
    celosia
    marigolds
    more zinnias
    sunflowers

Lynne

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Almost all of my annuals. I have been holding off until safer from frost/freeze. It has been in the 70s for the last few days. True to form, going to be highs of 40s, low of 30 for the next few days.

The few annuals I put out a couple of weeks ago sprouted fast. Hopefully, I'll get more done this weekend.

Karen

• Related Discussions

what do you get when you sow seeds of r.'prarie sun'?

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree with Love2 above...even if they are not identical, they are very pretty. Not missing any petals and some have a green center that is taller/higher than the original. Lime
    ...See More

What do I still have time to sow in 5b?

Q

Comments (7)
    CaraRose, in my experience nobody but gardening nuts like here on GW even thinks about planting crops in September, and so I can never find anything to plant at a nursery. I've had really good luck with planting seed in mid September, and then covering the new seedlings in October. Still, I wish you luck finding bedding plants!
    ...See More

Do we have a posting of what you have sow today

Q

Comments (1)
    If you do a search for "sowed today" there are several to choose from that you could piggy-back on...here's one: Here is a link that might be useful: List of Sown Today seeds.
    ...See More

What's left to sow?

Q

Comments (16)
    Karen.... I got these dwarfs in trade and I'll be dipped in batter if I can remember who from! I have a bunch in my database that don't have a traders name and I'm betting they all came from the same person. I assume these dwarfs are of the species C. sonata and if they are they'll probably be about 2'. As for fragrance of cosmos, I've never came across a fragrant one yet. What kind do you have that is? I'd like to know LOL! ooooo ooooo check it out! I just had to open up another winter and search google for "fragrant cosmos" and found this thread titled "What do primroses smell like?????" and someone brought up something called Cosmos atrosanguineus (Chocolate Cosmos)!!!! I posted the link to the thread. Now this I gotta have :D Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant Plants Forum~
    ...See More
  • highalttransplant
    16 years ago

All that I have left are several different kinds of basil, and a few zinnias (Profusion Apricot, Envy, and Persian Carpet). I'm planning to direct sow my marigolds, cucumbers, canteloupes, carrots, and beans. Though last year I had some trouble with something killing my beans as they were starting to sprout. Probably only 25% of what I sowed, actually made it. Didn't figure out if it was due to insect damage, or a wilt of some sort, so maybe I should spring sow, and transplant. Anyone else tried WSing method with their beans?

Bonnie

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Zinnias up the wahzoo
    Veggie Patch
    Nasturtiums (cuz I didn't do homework and have no clue if they could have been done sooner)
    Morning Glories (will wait WAY late on those)

Probably will start another batch of "something" when I think I've done them all...I do want to play the "succession sowing" game to replace some that need refreshing during the season...and I never can seem to get in the habit of it.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Vera,

All annuals need to be done here other that the proverbial tough bachelor buttons and alyssums which have already sprouted.

I hope nothing interrupts me this weekend as I'm going to do the lot of them (holding back MGs and Y. Salvias). The weather will be great for it since it's going to shower all weekend. Now if we get nice weather like this week, I might not get any done as the outside has been nice and I LOVE IT!!

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

We've had wet snow/rain here all day and it seems we will have the same weather for the rest of the weekend, so I will get my annuals done. As a result, we are now having flooding in the surrounding areas - we are near the Ottawa River. Just did alyssum and have in the wings: zinnias, marigolds, salvias, nasturtiums, nicotiana. Still too early for any of my veggies,herbs, MG, beans - either snow or water in the backyard. I want to try my lettuce this early in the little clementine boxes. I have seen lettuce seedlings on sale with a light snow falling, so I presume it's O.K. Great news - yesterday my Snowdrops came through the snow and so did a couple of my miniature Irises - really lifted my spirits.
    Still freezing in the north.
    Northerner.

• ladygladys
    16 years ago

Lots!
    African Daisy
    Aster-Crego Mix
    Butterfly Bush mix purple pink reds
    Calendula
    California Poppy
    Candytuft-Fairy Mixed Colors
    Carnation Mix
    Cosmos
    Dianthus-Microchip Mix
    Dwarf Morning Glory-Enchantment Mix
    Gazania
    Godetia-Sweeties
    Ice Plant-Harlequin Mix
    Ipomopsis-Hummingbird Mix
    Larkspur-Gentian Blue
    Love in a Mist
    Mexican Sunflower
    Nasturtium-Dwarf Alaska
    Nicandra
    Scarlet Flax
    Strawflower
    Zinnia-Giants of California

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I'll be doing my last batch of jugs this weekend: more zinnias (I did some earlier), impatiens, basil, and coleus. Oh, and peppers. I'm sure I'll find more things in the seed box to plant with any "extra" soil. I've got hibiscus 'Manihot' just begging to go out, too. . . .

Laurel

• mo_girl
    16 years ago

This is all I can think of for now:

Zinnias
    Melons
    Squash
    Gourds
    Beans
    Basil
    Morning Glories

I guess I don't have all that much more. Of course, a few more varieties could leap into my cart.

• rbrady
    16 years ago

I still have a bunch of annuals to sow and only a few perennials. I have been extremely "good" lately and haven't purchased or traded for any seeds. I have the following left:

4 varieties of Coleus
    5 varieties of Daturas
    8 varieties of petunias
    6 varieties of Marigolds
    Flowering Maple
    6 varieties of Basil
    4 varieties of Sunflowers
    Cilantro
    Patio pepper
    Calla lily
    Hibiscus "Manihot"
    Broom Corn
    Fenugreek
    Summer Savory
    Black Cumin
    Zinnias
    Bidens
    Cosmos
    Black Leaf Millet
    Osteopermum Hybrid
    4 Oclocks
    Lemon Grass
    Solanum ovigerum
    Cactus
    Scarlet Gilia
    Rosemary
    Poppies
    I think that is it!

Rhonda

• mwilk42
    16 years ago

Whew!!
    this thread makes me feel better. I have not done zinnas or alyssum yet; weatherman says it will be freezing this weekend.
    I have some others to do too, but can't think of them right now.

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

Me too!
    It's supposed to get nasty here this weekend (Traverse City, MI). So I haven't done my annuals yet either. Still to do: amaranthus,cosmos,cleome,cerinthe,MG's,marigold,nasties,
    Yvonne's salvia,sunflowers, and the zinnias.
    But INSIDE my house the sunflowers are a foot and a half tall,the morning glories are blooming,swamp milkweed is about 6 inches, tomatoes at a foot, and the pumpkins(yes, pumpkin!! That's what the 5yr old wanted to start!)bloomed today. I don't think it gets any nuttier than that!!LOL!!
    -B

• lillyjane
    16 years ago

Sunflowers
    Zinnias
    Coleus
    Marigolds
    Morning glories
    Snapdragon
    Cucumbers
    Pumpkins
    Watermelon
    Those are the ones calling 'Don't forget me!' I'm sure there are others waiting patiently in the box. LOL
    Jan ")

• shemeows
    16 years ago

I'm done so far, and the really ironic part is we are having the first real spring weekend, weather wise.

The only two things I wish I would have planted are cupflower (bought the wrong thing, planted it nevertheless) and mignonette. If I happen to find those, I'll be changing my tune :)

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Oh, only close to 300 annuals! Anyone want to come and help? The weather's been up and down and I've been waiting for it to settle down a bit. It's supposed to get down to 24 tonight. I will be covering what I have sowed already.

• terrene
    16 years ago

I figure I'm going to sow another 30-50 containers of warm-season annuals, grasses, and a few veggies. Here's a list of what I can think of at the moment:

Zinnias - Red spider, Persian carpet, Profusion
    Cosmos
    Tithonia - Fiesta del sol, Aztec sun, regular orange
    Tomatoes
    Basil
    Big Bluestem grass
    Little Bluestem grass
    Indian grass
    Bunny Tails grass

I'm planning to direct sow some things too, such as beans, Morning glories (maybe?), some Zinnias, and I direct sowed some Poppies the other day.

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Still needing to sow:
    Hyacinth Bean
    4 o'clocks
    Poppies
    Zinnias
    Some grasses
    Nasturtiums
    Lettuce & greens
    Basils
    other annual Herbs
    Cukes
    and the mis-mash of things that I traded for recently.

About half of sown things have sprouted already (220), yippee!

--Tina

• shimla
    16 years ago

I still have things left, too! I need to make one more pass through the seed box. I looked over the list of things I've already sowed and wished I'd done multiple pots of a few things, too! I hope to only do another 20-30 so my spring isn't overwhelming trying to keep up with all those pots outside. I'm really into the poppies this year, they seemed to self-sow nicely last year in the garden and 'pop' up just where I wanted to see a flower. I might direct sow a few packs of those.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurel...

YES! I have Abelomschus manihot.., AKA H. manihot too!! Thanks for the reminder LOL! I saw Donn's pics of these a few years back and remembered to look for them in trade :D

Forgot I have more Nasturtiums to do yet. I could do those today I guess!

OMG Northerner! Everyone's Snowdrops have already finished up around here...that's just crazy :O

I got soooooooooo many Zinnia's in trade but don't think I can do them all unless I run out there and make a new bed today! For sure will do my Profusion Cherry Zinnia...will be interesting to see if they come true again for the 4th time! Got some Giant Purple and Pink, seed that came from Green Envy and on and on. I have a ton of Celosia to try too...first time with these and some say they are hardy annuals and some say tender so I'm just waiting for a few weeks to start and be safe :D

Vera

• farfaraway
    16 years ago

I have gobs of stuff yet to sow, and hope to do it this weekend:

Zinnias (Lavender Queen, Enchantress, Peppermint Stick, small mixed)
    Butterfly mix from Botanical Interests
    Grandmother's cutting garden mix from B.I.
    Penny Black
    Lobelia, Crystal Palace
    Marigolds (Firecracker, more Jolly Jesters)
    Morning glory, Sunrise Serenade
    Candytuft, Dwarf Glory mix
    Chilean glory vine, Tresco mix
    Cosmos, Bright Lights
    Impatiens, cristata and walleriana
    Lemon basil
    Basil, Sweet Genovese
    Globe amaranth
    Russell lupines
    Sunflowers
    Gaillardia, Sundance Bicolor (annual)
    Four o'clocks

So many to go still! And I'm working on the veggie garden, too!

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

lots in the seed box left!
    cosmos, alyssum,marigolds, sweet peas,another sowing of sunflowers,( I sow for a month for continued bloom) freesia, basil, clover, wildflower mix, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, squash, melons, poppies, swiss chard, gourds and pumpkins, zea maize and sweet corn.
    So far Mom nature has been friendly to me for warmer days to clear the areas for renovation of gardens.
    I looked at last years black mulch delivery, that was April 22nd. This year I already have scallions, red and white onins, red and white potatoes and broccoli in the ground.
    Hope it doesn't heat up real fast because I have a huge pile of wood chips to chip up, may order the mulch coloring and borrow the neighbors concrete mixer to make my own colored mulch. I really want to have enough time to make rhubarb leaf stepping stones and more colored glass totems and hangy things.

• northforker
    16 years ago

My seed box seems to have no bottom....(smile)

I THINK I've got most of the perennials started and made sure to throw in some annuals (hardier ones) every once in awhile so that I'll have some blooms - about 200 jugs/clear boxes. But I have tons of annuals still to go. I am trying to plant out what I can (so far just poppies) to free up containers/space in the "container garden" area.

I did do some "bed work" this weekend so that there are weed free places for the babies to go!If I never see another wild onion it'll be too soon!

NAncy

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

I haven't sown vines. The fence I grow them on was half smushed in a tornado and will be removed and replaced (thankfully) so I might not bother this year.
    Warm weather vegetables like eggplant, peppers
    more annual flowers such as annual helenium
    agastaches which I had, but got crushed and disappeared in the tornado. One hadn't flowered yet and had really unusual foliage. I was bummed to loose that one!!
    nicotiana
    basils

And I can't think of anything else. Honestly, I have about 300 packages of seeds spread out all over the kitchen next door and I haven't looked at them since early March!!

GGG

• carrie630
    16 years ago

zinnias, zinnias and more zinnias - all colors, shapes and sizes! (LOL)

Carrie

• threeorangeboys
    16 years ago

Carrie, I was waiting for you to pop up! You are the zinnia QUEEN, and I always wait until you sow them to start them. You are warmer than I am here in DC, I'll bet, but I think it's getting warm enough that I can get them started.

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

As if I don't have enough seeds still to sow, over the weekend a friend dropped off some dahlia tubers and a COMPLETE collection of Parks Dreamland Zinnias - he had ordered two collections by mistake.. I am happy about the zinnias tho - the ones I had sown earlier did germinate but are looking pretty sad after a couple nights of really cool temps. Tonight is our last official freeze date so I think I will be pretty safe in sowing the zinnias now and having a nice healthy flat of them......

Lynne

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Decided to start the Clemson Spineless Okra indoors and the Abelmoschus manihot/Hibiscus manihot indoors as well. Both are currently soaking in warm water for sowing tomorrow morning. I'm afraid if I don't get these started indoors I'll be sorry:D

Vera

• sybilkrizinski
    15 years ago

I am still waiting on a foxglove order and some nicotiana.
    Sybil

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm