SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Native black maple in VA??

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I was looking at the Virginia Big Tree list the other day, and noticed that two of their co-champion Acer nigrum were in Fairfax County, VA. This is along the Potomac Heritage Trail in what appears to be an isolated NATURAL stand of black maples, fifty to one hundred miles outside what the maps say their native range is!

Per most maps the native range doesn't touch VA at all & only touches extreme Western MD & one small dot to the east of that in MD.

However, this stand exists. Has anyone seen these trees?

I'm thinking of making the 35 mile trip down there to see them, and possibly collect some seeds if I can. I'll probably try to time it around peak fall color too.

What is interesting to me, besides the fact they seem to be natural & well outside the "official" native range is that they are growing on bottomland soil as far as I can tell, possibly even in the Potomac floodplain! Not where you expect a "hard" maple to be!

I'd love to try to grow one of these local provenance black maples. Hopefully it will be a good mast year & I can get some viable seed off the ground (as their canopies are almost certainly very high since it is a wooded area).

Which brings me to my second question:

Who has grown sugar/black maples from seed? Anyone got tips on stratification, best growing conditions, etc?

Would RootMaker pots be worthwhile?

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Maple - VA Big Tree website

Comments (10)