SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starmade

jefferson rose climbing habit?

starmade
10 years ago

I'm puzzled by the listings at nurseries, as well as HMF, of jefferson rose/softee as 2-3 feet high.

Mine is a climber. It was sold to me as jefferson rose, and I am pretty sure it came from Chamblees, though I can't find it in their listing now. It wants to throw long canes 5 to 7 feet, or longer, and has done this since I first put in the ground a couple years ago. It grew very eagerly. I moved it from its original spot in part because it had outgrown the space within six months; in its current part shade position the canes just get longer as they reach for the light. I have whacked it back to three feet and it puts out long canes again immediately. In all other respects it answers the description, quite thornless, a few tiny prickles on the backs of leaves, lovely clean small lacy foliage, and the flowers match the photos I find on HMF and elsewhere. I have searched quite hard for some mention of it as a climber elsewhere, and I think came across a mention of it in a fairly obscure spot, possibly breeder forum, which suggested it "sort of wanted to climb" but gave no dimensions.

My question is, could a climbing habit possibly be distinctive to the form of Softee sold as Jefferson Rose? Would anyone else describe its habit as "climbing" or do I have an unusual sport? I am in zone 9 Houston.

Comments (7)