SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

Growth habits for rose swag and other supports

bart_2010
13 years ago

Hello, everyone. I am new to this forum.My rose garden is on a large piece of steeply sloping land about 35 minutes from my home;I dream of someday being able to open it to the public.In this context, I think a long rose swag or catenary would be appropriate,and I am wondering about which of the old climbing teas and noisettes might have a growth habit adapted to this use.Now, from what I've read on this forum, the Climbing Maman Cochets (both White and the pink one)are not appropriate because they are stiff caned and very thorny,yet I see that many people grow them on trellises.Can any of you out there who actually grow the climbing Mamans give me a good idea of the growth habits of these two roses,and some idea of what kind of support structure is best for them?Could either get tall enough to reach up into a tree? Do they like a bit of shade or not? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a rose swag? So far, I am thinking to use Emmanuela De Mouchy and Elie Beauvilain,with perhaps Pink Cloud as well. I'd have space for two others on the catenary...how about Mme. E.Souffrain? Anyone grow that? Thank you all in advance for your attention! regards, bart

Comments (18)

• User
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Bart. This is THE forum for Tea fanatics here.

• Related Discussions

Growth Habit of Allegra

Q

Comments (4)
    It's still early on mine (start of 2nd year); however my experience of it is not that of Olga - mine doesn't seem all that blackspot prone and it is, of yet, rather short. Does seem to have upright growth. Also have Umbra (2nd year on that, too); am wondering if it really is as close to blue as Paul Barden says. Time will tell, have had no blooms yet on either.
    ...See More

Roses with Eugene de Beauharnais' growth habit

Q

Comments (11)
    Musaboru, Viru Viraraghavan introduced two small-growing Teas, 'Aussie Sixer' and 'Dixie Beauty', that are ideal subjects for container culture. Both are available from Roses Unlimited. Another Tea that I prefer to grow as a container rose is 'Devoniensis' (the bush form). It's not a rapid grower and can be maintained in a relatively small container. The very compact Bourbon 'Queen of Bedders' is especially good as a container rose. If I had to select a favorite variety for growing in a container, it would be difficult for me to choose between this one and 'Devoniensis'. The problem with QoB, though, is availability. Vintage was the only U.S. source, and I don't think it was ever available there except as a custom order. BTW, it would be helpful to know what you mean by SMALL pots. My initial reaction to some of the posts above was that several of the varieties suggested are not really suitable for small pots. But what I think of as a "small" pot for roses is probably quite different from what others might have in mind.
    ...See More

Which roses have this growth habit?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the info, Seil. I value your expertise on the forum (long time reader). I suspected it could be an HT of some sort. Left unchecked, roses here easily grow very large & bushy, but I'm more interested in the ones with a tendency to produce upward growing, single stem blooms. I had a young, florist Red Intuition that set some stems like that, on a smaller scale. I'd like to find more of the same, preferably garden types if there are any. By the way, I'm in South Africa, near Johannesburg, primarily in a dry winter, summer rainfall area with lots of sunshine. Roses do very well here.
    ...See More

growth habit of grafted roses

Q

Comments (5)
    I've had this problem, too, particularly with my three Sisters Fairy Tale roses, grafted on multiflora. This summer was better than last year when I attributed the problem to my alkaline soil (the multiflora rootstock, which doesn't just love alkaline soil was causing some growth issues, I thought). This year I used granular fertilizer for acid loving plants which greatly helped the problem of huge candelabra, though some of this growth still occurred at the end of the summer. My new this year Kordes roses on multflora were planted with a mixture of garden soil for acid loving plants mixed with my garden soil, and there hasn't been much of a problem with odd growth. Diane
    ...See More
  • User
    13 years ago

um, i pushed submit before I thought a good rose you mught look at. Not a tea or noisette but a bourbon, Blairii 2. Like Zephirine Drouhin, this is a rose which will cope with the precise pruning to use on a catenary. Flowering on the current seasons wood as well as older wood, these climbing bourbons seem extremely amenable to catenary work and I find it quite easy to separate just a couple of good canes to travel (in my case) the length of my wall, supported by wires and also leave some of the canes to get a bit more twiggy and bushy to hide my washing line post. They grow long, long flexible but thick canes every season so you can get a renewal system going well while the thicker pillared growth is happy to be lopped to size every year. I am a complete ignoramus about teas or noisettes (apart from MAC which is a beast) but hey, rest assured, if there these roses are also good for swags, there will be loads of suggestions from this lot.

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Suzy, this lot loves you, too...fanatically.

Sherry

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

Hello Bart!
    Where in Italy do you live? I'm in the province of Piacenza close to the border with Parma, in the hills, also with a steeply sloping piece of land that I garden on.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Melissa

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your answers,everyone! I live in Tuscany,at the foot of the Appenines, between Prato and Bologna. I don't really know what zone it'd be; in a rose book I have they put most of Italy as a zone 8,but I don't know. My garden is on our piece of land that was formerly abandoned,with a beautiful view and bad soil. I have to work very hard at improving it.It can get awful windy out there,but it has a south-western exposure, and is protected from north wind.It gets awful hot in the summer, with that exposure, and the light is not ideal,in the sense that I get more afternoon light rather than that of the morning, but oh well.The place where this swag is to go will be pretty protected by the huge, ugly metal shed that the previous owner put up (this is shaped like a half cylinder, and eventually I hope to remove the metal siding and leave the arching framework, and cover said framework in roses and wisteria! But that will have to wait...)For this swag, I am thinking it might be nice to try for 5 repeat-bloomers.Eventually I hope to do a second one at the foot of the garden,with ramblers,because down there it's more exposed to wind,but this, too, will have to wait-I haven't even gotten that area fenced in!So many big projects that I dream of,who knows if I'll really get around to them.
    Sherry,thank you for your detailed description of Maman's habit and ways. I, too, have E.Veyrat Hermanos, but have not yet gotten it to bloom,it always covers itself in buds, which then never manage to open. I moved it (it had pathetic soil)last fall. It still didn't bloom, though it's putting out lots of growth as a plant. If it doesn't do something impressive soon,it's getting the shovel. Do you do anything in particular for your E.Veyrat to help it to bloom?
    And another question:Does anyone have any colour combination tips for swags? Thanks again for your welcome and attention,cheers,bart

• User
    13 years ago

hello Bart
    I got my Tony Lord book (Designing with Roses)out so here is a list of roses for pergolas, arcades and catenaries, which, according to his criteria. are graceful in habit, flexible in growth with pendulous blooms and refined foliage, with a height of at least 4-5 m. As the list is quite long, I will limit it to pinks.

Awakening, Blairii 2, Blush Rambler, Cl.Paul Lede, Dorothy Perkins, Edmund Proust. Elsa Robichon, Flora, Frances E Lester, Francois Juranville, Jean Guichard, Kew Rambler, La Follette, Laura Davoust, Mme Driot, mme Gregoire Staechelin, May Queen, Narrow Water, New Dawn, Tea Rambler
    Can copy out entire list for you as I rate Tony Lord quite highly.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Campanula, thank you so much for this list from Tony Lord. If it's not too much trouble, I guess I WOULD be interested in seeing the whole list,or at least the "red" ,"orange" and "purple" ones that he would recommend.I am thinking that I'd like to have a darker,intense pink/purple on the center post,then two medium pinks, and on the end posts,paler colours.On the PB forum, someone suggested Pink Cloud as being a possible candidate.Being a "relative" of New Dawn,I'm thinking this might be worth a try,seeing as Tony Lord recommends both New Dawn and Awakening!I am also thinking it might be wise to have a mix of old and more modern roses on the catenary,for health reasons, and also for contrast. I'm pretty much settled on using Emmanuela de Mouchy and Elie Beauvilain. No one has commented On Mme. E. Souffrain;maybe I better make a seperate thread about that. Because,on HMF,the photos of this look decidedly yellow,but I saw a photo on a French rose site in which it looked quite pinky (i.e.,giving the idea that it's a bit like Jaune Desprez,a sort of soft blend)If that is so, it would be perfect for one of the end posts...thanks for all your help! regards, bart

• User
    13 years ago

Hi Bart, Here we go:
    Adelaide d orleans Aimee Vibert
    Alberic Barbier Albertine
    Alchymist Alexandre Girault
    Alexandre Tremouillet Alister Stella Gray
    Auguste Gervaise Aviateur Bleriot
    Awakening R.Banksia var banksiae
    R.Banksia var lutea Black Boy
    Blairii two Bleu Magente
    blush Rambler Celine Forestier
    Chaplins Pink Climber City of York
    Cecille Brunner cl Climbing Ena Harkness
    Climbing Iceberg Climbing Mme Testout
    Climbing Mrs Herbert Stevens Climbing Paul Lede
    Crepuscule Crimson Shower
    Debutante Desprez a Fleur jaune
    Dorothy Perkins Dundee rambler
    Edmund Proust Elisa Robichon
    Emily Gray Felicite Perpetue
    Flora Frances E Lester
    Francois Juranville Gardenia
    Ghislaine de Feligonde Gloire de Dijon
    Jean Gauchard Kew Rambler
    La Follete Lamarque
    Laure Davoust Leontine Gervaise
    Mme Alfred Carrier Mme Driot
    Mme Gregoire Staechelin Marechal Niel
    May Queen Mermaid
    mulliganii Narrow Water
    New Dawn Paul Noel
    Paul Transom Reve d'Or
    Rose-Marie Viaud seagull
    Sombreuil Summer Wine
    Super excelsa Super Sparkle
    Tausendschon Tea Rambler
    Treasure Trove Veilchenblau
    Violette William Allen Richardson

Tony Lord does not distinguish between arcades, pergolas and catenaries so you will have to be discriminating here. Some are obviously insane to try on a catenarie (Treasure trove!)The whole project sounds lush and romantic - a pleasure to plan and execute.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Hello, Bart, and welcome to the forum. I hope we'll be hearing a lot more from you as you continue with your projects. As far as Mme. E. Souffrain is concerned, I don't believe this rose is available here, or perhaps I should say I've not seen it offered here.

As far as E. Veyrat Hermanos is concerned, I wonder whether it's possible your conditions don't suit it. This rose grew like a weed for me and bloomed within the first six months. I had it against a wall that had morning sun only but I live in a warm inland Mediterranean hilly area with lots of solar radiation. I grow Reve d'Or and it does seem to have rather pliable branches and has good rebloom. Have you considered Cl. Lady Hillingdon, by the way? I don't know if it meets your criteria since I've only grown it against a fence but it does get quite large, and I don't recall that it was terribly rigid or thorny. Rebloom was quite good.

Ingrid

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Campanula, thank you so much for posting that long list for me and going to so much trouble! This is VERY useful, because it also suggests what TYPES of roses, I mean in the sense of families, etc., might be most adapted.For example, I see that the great majority of the ones on the list are basically ramblers.However, I take your point about the lack of distinction element. For example, I have a Desprez a Fleurs Jaune that has to be moved (it's very unhappy where it presently is). I thought about using this for the catenary but decided against it, for fear that DFJ would just get too big (besides,I think it might enjoy some afternoon shade)I assume that Tony Lord is a UK writer/gardener? Because climate must be taken into account as well.In the Botanica rose book, they put UK and Italy in the same USDA zones, more or less,but the two climates are SO different(though this fall,I must say that it feels like rainy Ireland here ;it just doesn't seem to want to stop.)I want to look up some of the ones on the list that I don't know. One oddity: for me the Supers Dorothy and Excelsa are definitely out of the running; neither of these two seems to want to even CLIMB in my garden!In fact, I probably will eventually buy a new plant of Super D (it is just so beautiful) and try again from scratch;maybe try acidifying the soil,I have this alkaline Appenine soil.
    O,Ingrid,EV Hermanos is growing like a weed for me ,too, but a non-flowering weed! Let me correct that:the problem is that the flowers won't open.At first, it was growing in what I must admit was wretched soil; the plant grew,and it was covered with buds,which all refused to open,even though the weather was dry. I moved it last year and put it in good soil,yet this year it still did the same thing as far as blooming goes:lots of buds,none of which manage to open really,they just ball,or rot or something.Now, with all the rain, the plant is growing like a maniac,putting out 2-3 meter long canes,very flexible and practically thornless.If only it would bloom,as a green plant it's great, but we don't grow roses for foliage really.I'll give it another season,but if it doesn't do something good soon as far as flowering is concerned, I'm afraid it'l get the shovel
    Yesterday I sent an e-mail to a German company ,asking if they can ship to Italy (I can't read German, so hopefully someone there can read English) I really hope they will answer me,because I would so like to order some of their rose, two of which I am thinking of specifically for the catenary: Henri Barruet and Asta Von Parpart.These are both rambler types, supposedly with some potential re-bloom.If I really do manage to get a hold of these two roses, I'm thinking of the following colour scheme for the catenary: Mme.E.Souffrain and Henri Barruet on the end posts, Emmanuela De Mouchy and Elie Beauvilain on the next two, and the dark Asta Von Parpart in the center.If they don't answer me, though,maybe Paul Transon would be good in place of Henri Barruet... cheers, bart

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to help from a forum friend that's a lot more knowledgeable than me,I contacted a French company (Roses Loubert), and have ordered both Henri Barruet and Asta Von P. But 2 experts on that forum don't think Asta would work on a swag, being a Multiflora! So I got another one, called Mosel. On HMF this is described as a "Lambertiana" rambler. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks, bart

• User
    13 years ago

I thought Lambertianas were basically hybrid multifloras? I don't know Mosel, Bart, in fact, the only Lambertiana I am at all familiar with is Aglaia, which is quite a vigorous rose. It was in our local botanics, growing over a wooden arch and easily grew 5m as well as being quite bushy too.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I looked on HMF for "Lambertiana";they define them simply as roses bred by Lambert! (fat lot of help that is).So, I looked up Mosel again;you are right, Campanula, it is a hybrid multiflora. Now, I don't know if you've been following my conversation with Hannes on the PB forum re Joasine Hanet and Asta Von Parpart; neither he nor the Old Rosarian think this latter would work for a catenary; the comments suggested to me that Asta,being a hybrid multiflora would be too rigid, with too many basals.it's parents are an HPerpetual and a hybrid Multiflora. On the other hand, Mosel's parents are Trier and a climber,Madame something-or-other. At this point, none of the dark er coloured ones seems sure-fire to me. Marie Nabonnand and Zephirine Drouhin I already have and don't want to move,ditto Mme. Solvay. Hopefully, Hannes will recall something about Mosel's habit, but at this point I'm beginning to think that I should take perhaps an experimental attitude,and try either Mosel or Pink Cloud.That way, I'll have three fairly safe bets (Emmanuela de Mouchy, Elie Beauvilain,and Henri Barruet) and two maybes: Mme.E. Souffrain and Mosel/Pink Cloud,and if these don't work, I'll replace them with some one of the others.Oh, I forgot: Alexander Girault. Ilove that ,have a couple of them, but the oldest one has gotten huge this year,and has more basals than I can count,so if too many basals is a reason for exclusion,Alex. G would be out.Multiflora hybrids might work;I had two Multiflora Carneas,and both sent out some very long canes...I read somewhere that Aglaia is one of Trier's parents...cheers,bart

• User
    13 years ago

Hmm, I looked up Mosel on HMF - that is a lovely rose. One thing that struck me was the range of size - 200cm - 400cm which always makes me think aha, pruning fun, as a rose which has such a variable range is, to my mind, nicely malleable. Hey, I forgot I am also growing Goldfinch, another multiflora, in exactly the same way as you except I am using posts and wire as a narrow (and low, 4foot) edging.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After much hemming and hawing, I think I'm going to go for Mosel in the center , and maybe also Noella Nabonnand;you know, one on each side of the central post,one trained to the left and one to the right...that way, if they don't get real big, they'll still work. Or does that sound too daring? What do you think, forum friends? cheers, bart

• idixierose
    13 years ago

This thread is very interesting. Now I'm wondering about the details of training the roses on the catenaries.

I've been studying climbers and rabmblers and came up with these possibilities: Summer Wine, Sombreuil, Soaring Spirits, Gardenia, White New Dawn, Frances E. Lester.

I'm wondering if Souvenir de Mme. Leonie Viennot would be a good candidate as well.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello, once again, it's bart and her rose catenary or swag. I've recieved my plants,and looking at them have made some revisions in my plans. I got an enormous grafted Pink Mermaid from Loubert, whereas my own-root Emmanuela de Mouchy is small and I think might be better off in a pot for the first season. So, now I'm thinking about the following arrangement:the single-flowered Pink Mermaid on the center post,flanked by the purpley Mosel and Noella Nabonnand,and on the ends,Henri Barruet and Clbg.Paul Lede.Does anyone know if Noella Nabonnand would get big enough and be flexible enough for the job? Or do you think it's be better to stick with the plan of: Mosel in center, flanked by the orangey-pinks Paul Lede and Elie Beauvilain, with Pink Mermaid and Henri Barruet on the ends? thanks for any comments and/or considerations. regards, bart