SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seattlesunshine_gw

Need Tall & Narrow Hedge Ideas - Seattle (7b)

SeattleSunshine
11 years ago

Hi All,

I'm feeling kinda lost on what to plant along the back of my property for a tall privacy hedge. I've read at least twenty threads on hedges, maybe more and I'm as unsure as ever about what to plant.

Here's what I want:

A tall (up to 15' or so) and narrow (3-4' max) hedge that is very dense. Evergreen is essential. I love the look of English boxwood but I don't need my hedge to look nearly as "perfect". I'm not at all a fan of hedges that are conical in shape with gaps in between. I don't mind having to shear the hedge once or twice a year but that's about it. I want something that keeps its shape well for a while between trimmings. So in short, I want a narrow and dense green wall that keeps its shape well. (Have m cake and eat it too!)

Here's what I'm working with:

Behind my little house a giant three-story condo complex sprung up. My back yard has a steep slope upwards of about five feet before it ends at the alley between my yard and the condos. There's a "landing" space of roughly 3-4' (it varies) at the top of the slope - this is the planting site, so width of the hedge is *very* important. The area gets very little eastern sun, partial southern sun, and partial western sun. Some areas along the planting site are shadier than others but all areas get at least partial sun. The hedge will need to be about 60' wide to build a wall across my back yard.

I've considered Thuja, Cypress, and Juniper. My guess is that slow to moderate-growing to is better for me because I don't want to trim often. Am I wrong? How far apart should I plant to make the wall?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (8)