SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Need Jr. Garden Club seed help!

I figure if anyone would really know, it's the winter sowing group!

The elementary school schedules its' afternoon clubs over a 6 week period which, unfortunately for garden club, starts in late February or the first week of March. This means that we are over with at least a month before our average freeze/frost cycle has ended (mid-May generally). So, I'm in Week 5 of 6.

The school allots 2 beds along the entrance way for us to work in--sort of later inferno zones which no one waters unless a special trip is made, maintenance is there, etc. I guess it must have some shade since they initially put a few azaleas there at some point which are still alive, though not thriving.

In the fall, we set pansies in. Once the heat sets in, there will be nothing growing but weeds. I'd like to get out there, have the kids weed out the henbit and plant some seeds for something to look at until school ends. The lady at the garden store thinks there is nothing that we could plant since the ground is cold and anything that sprouts could be killed by a freeze or frost.

How is sowing seeds now different than the winter sowing in containers? IS she right or is there something I can pick up off the seed racks that will work?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida