SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchid_ladycats

native tree selection to create visual barrier

orchid_ladycats
14 years ago

Behind our home we have a fairly small piece of forest conservation land. With the county's permission, we were able to have invasives -- multiflora rose, poison ivy/oak, japanese honeysuckle, etc -- removed. I've been trying to fill in with native plants. There is now a proposed new community to be built behind us. (Of course, in the current economy, this could be way in the future...) We want to plant a grouping of native trees and shrubs that will grow fairly rapidly and provide a visual barrier between our property and the new development. We have lots of maples on the property, lots of native viburnam, one Eastern hemlock that I love, but fear it would be too expensive to try planting a lot of those.

Our property extends back to just before the dense brush beyond the dirt strip in the far back -- just beyond the nest box (that's the sort of triangular shaped wooden piece mounted on a black pole. It has aluminum foil on the top to deter invasive bird species from trying to nest.) All of that brush as well as the trees in the background are likely to disappear with the development so we want to plant a dense border of trees and shrubs back there. Ideas? I'm in Maryland, zone 7. And anything I plant has to be native. Thanks!

{{gwi:426575}}

Comments (8)