SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brighid_gw

Quest for Perfect Red Garden Rose

Brighid
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a long time, as life's taken a turn for the insanely busy. But I have a new question I hope someone could give me advice on.

I spent a lot of time and money over the last few years(and went through several different plants) searching for the perfect red rose. My conclusion is that Ingrid Bergman is the perfect shade of red rose, with the perfect florist rose shape. I just love her, and now have three Ingrids in my garden.

However, I've recently gotten more and more into the old garden rose shape, and the David Austin English roses. I really love the romantic, cabbage-rose look. And they have even gotten me away from my total obsession over having only perfectly red roses, and into a new appreciation for pastels.

The only problem is that I would love to introduce some nice cabbage roses to my "red" garden, but have not had much luck in finding a perfect red one. Using Ingrid as my standard for perfect red, of course. I tried Red Traviata this year, and although she starts out a nice, bright red, she fades quickly and easily into a more washed-out red. Also, the blooms aren't quite the nice cabbage shape I had hoped for. I know it's just her first year, and the bloom shape may improve, but I doubt the color will.

Long story short, does anyone have a recommendation for a nice vibrant red, fade-resistant, cabbage style rose? I've heard good things about David Austin's "The Squire," but without having seen it in person, it's hard for me to judge. Photos can lie when it comes to red. Does a cabbage rose exist which has the same beautiful red as Ingrid Bergman?

Thanks for the advice.

-Brighid

PS: I do also consider disease resistance, since I live in a blackspot haven here in the Pacific Northwest. I also only use organic treatments.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!