SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Rose du Roi a Fleur Pourpres' ? my ideal of perfection.

luxrosa
12 years ago

I've been looking for the perfect red-mauve blend rose for my garden for over a year, and nothing really has rung my chimes, although 'William Shakespeare' 2000 came close.

Reine des Violettes' has yet to seduce me.

Yesterday I went to an acquaintances condo and I noticed she had one rosebush on her balcony, it was all I ever wanted in a red-purple rose, large opulent blooms with a heady Damask scent, very attractive Damask type leaves, that were

-completely clean of disease! unsprayed! at the end of September!.

I asked her its name and she said it was 'Rose du Roi'

its blooms were more interesting than the two forms of Rose du Roi I've seen in the home gardens of vintagegardens.com. Her rose had rather a flat center similar to that of 'Belle du Crecy'

Could it be " Rose du Roi A fleurs Pourpre'?

I forgot to look for an elongated receptacle, but it did appear much like a Damask Perpetual.

gosh that rhymes.

I hope to get a cutting from her some day, because I could not find it in commerce.

Lux.

Comments (15)

• User
    12 years ago

Where did she get hers?

I hope you can get cuttings from her.

The Damask Perpetuals are such a fascinating group. I have Pickering Four Seasons. It did nothing all summer. I take that back. It survived the brutal summer. Now that cooler weather is here, it has perked up and is now putting out all kinds of new greenness. Good things to come, I hope.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Lux, I'll bet it's as happy as you found it because of the increased warmth of being on a floor (balcony) in a pot. I don't know how clean or productive it might be in your foggy, cool garden. If you try it, you might want to give it some passive solar assistance, put it near hardscape where it may benefit from any extra radiated or reflected heat. Poupre isn't as vigorous as regular old Rose du Roi, but it sure can be purple! Kim

• fogrose
    12 years ago

The rose is available from Greenmantle. They have it listed as Mogador (Roi de Pourpres). I tried it in my coastal fog and part shade but it's sulking. Hope it does better for you.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenmantle

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I bought my first real OGRs from Marissa and Ram Fishman at Greenmantle eons ago. VERY nice people. I flew to San Jose from Los Angeles to meet friends who live there. We drove all the way to Garberville, toured the nursery and were served a home grown, organic, vegetarian lunch. I flew home with three, one gallon Gallicas on my lap! They were one of two sources for Grey Pearl in the world at that time. The Silvermoon I still have came from them nearly thirty years ago. Ram does antique fruit varieties. Marissa does her eclectic rose collection. I'm glad they're still around! Kim

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bellegallica, she bought hers at the Old Rose Celebration in El Cerrito, Ca a few years ago.

Unfortunatly Greenmantle doesn't sell the rose I want, they only sell 'Rose du Roi' which I actually don't care for, I've seen both the forms of 'rose du roi' sold by vintagegardens.com in their home garden and thought it rather a ho-hum rose. Just my opinion.
    I do however love the Greenmantle website, and thank you for the tip, and I hope to order other roses and fruit from them.

I'll just pray and hope that the same vendor returns to the Old Rose Celebration in 2012 and has a
    'Rose du Roi A Fleurs Pourpre'.
    I missed last years event, even though I look forward to it all year, because I was nursing a sick kitty, my cat William, who et something he shouldn't have eaten.

Roseseek thanks for the cultivation information.

Her plant is so small, being in a pot that I feel shy about asking for cuttings, though that was an immediate thought upon seeing the roses on her plant, exquisite red Gallica hues fading into especially marvelous purples and mauves that I've rarely seen in the Genus Rosa. I live in a warm area of California where most Gallicas cannot thrive, which makes me even keener to get this Damask Perpetual.

Thanks all,
    Lux.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome Lux. This one sounds like the perfect candidate for "pushing". It would be interesting trying the original, the purple and white sports of the rose together to see how they compare. Imgaine a standard with two or all three on it. Could be quite interesting! Kim

• fogrose
    12 years ago

lux,

according to help me find, your rose is listed under multiple names:

'Mogador' is one of the synonyms and IS available from greenmantle.

⢠Crimson Superb
    ⢠Du Roi pourpre
    ⢠Roi des Pourpres (syn. 'Rose du Roi àFleurs Pourpres)
    ⢠Rose du Roi àFleurs Pourpres
    ⢠Superb Crimson Perpetual

fogrose

Here is a link that might be useful: mogador at help me find

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I purchased Rose du Roi a Fleur Pourpres from Northland Rosarium this summer, and it looks like they still are selling it :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Northland

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Darn,
    both the photos of 'rose du roi a fleurs pourpres' and Morgada 'roi du pourpres' at Northland and Greenmantle do not appear to be Rose du Roi a fleurs pourpres' of my freind, but appear much more like the more common
    'Rose du Roi'
    - the floral form is very different, mounded in the photo instead of a high center, and the rose in both photos has a smaller petal count.
    -the foliage also lacks the distinct Damask grey hues of the rose I'm searching for.
    I was, however, thrilled to see that Greenmantle sells my favorite apple; 'Pink Pearl', which is an apple tree variety that is not commonly sold.

Graham S. Thomas said that ' Rose du Roi a fleurs Pourpre' does not look anything like 'Rose du Roi' and I agree with that.

I think I will ask my friend if she could spare a cutting this January and/or hope her rose turns up in 2012 at the old rose celebration.

Luxrosa

• User
    12 years ago

It's a shame you can't see them in person. Reds and purples are so hard to capture on film. They could look entirely different in the "flesh". It's also hard to judge petal count/shape because those can look quite different at various times of the year and stages of opening.

At any rate, your friend could have something else entirely as well, but you know that is the rose you want. So if I were in your place I'd probably work up the courage to ask for a cutting or two. It will grow again! She'll need to deadhead anyway, right? Just ask her to deadhead a little bit further down the cane this time. LOL.

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was amused by what one person wrote by his photo of 'Rose du Roi a' Fleurs Pourpre' on helpmefind.com/roses
    as being "The usual imposter".
    I still smile when I think of it.

Lux.

• windeaux
    12 years ago

In your long search " . . . for the perfect red-mauve blend rose for (your) garden . . . ", have you considered the Hybrid Perpetual 'Granny Grimmetts'? It's been my observation that Granny's color fluctuates depending on temps, soil, etc., but when she's at her best, her color is astonishing -- and, sometimes (especially in autumn), she's the most truly purple of any rose I've ever seen.

Of the few specimens of GG I've observed, the finest have been container plants. She doesn't fade, and tolerates light shade in my zone. I'm linking below to an especially good photo of 'Granny Grimmetts' taken by Malcolm Manners. Recent photos at HMF (one by AmiRoses, one by Nova Liz) are also noteworthy. This is a rose, I suspect, whose color is very difficult to capture photographically. Very good fragrance on this one, too . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Granny Grimmitts'

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks windeaux for your reccomendation, I had once considered Granny Grimmets for another of the places in my red rose garden.

Lux

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Lux, if you do get a cutting of the rose you admire and succeed in getting it to strike roots, I would enjoy seeing a picture of it posted here once it reaches blooming stage. I like richly colored, heavily scented roses with large, opulent blooms myself. The best of luck to you!

Rosefolly

• kristimama
    12 years ago

Bumping this post to ask if you ever managed to get a cutting, or find the plant somewhere. It sounds really compelling.
    -k

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida