SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Creating my Christmas list - need suggestions

Karolina11
11 years ago

Due to a hectic November, our families are getting our christmas lists together in the next week. I have ideas about what I want but I need some suggestions.

First, let's start with the roses.

I redid my front bed this fall and it is full of purple/pink/white perennials. I left place for five rose bushes in the middle. I have Ebb Tide (although I ordered Twilight Zone in case I like that more),and Moondance in place. I also have Poseidon on order for the spring.

I need suggestions for a hot pink and a light pink floribunda. I would like the bed to be uniform so I would like the flowers and size/shape of the bush to be similar to that of Ebb Tide and Moondance. I get thrips, blackspot, and powdery mildew, so any disease resistance is great. Also, this is leading up my front walkway for fragrance is a huge plus.

Second place I need roses is for the Southwest part of my house. I cleaned three beds between the windows of the house and would like three climbing roses to put there. I am looking for solid colors and once again, similar flower form. Continous blooming is something I would need as this part of my house faces a public park and thus would like to put on a show during the growing season.

I am in zone 6a/6b in central Pennsylvania.

Second, I need some new tools. I need three things: a good pair of prunings shears, something to prune roses from a bit of a distance (prickly thorns in large bushes means I currently can't deadhead in the center of some bushes), and for anyone that grows perennials, I need some sort of shears that would be easy to use to clip back plants such as coreopsis, mums, nepeta, etc. Any suggestions on types of tools and brands?

Third, books on the topic of roses. Specifically rose care in the cooler climates. Also would like a book on varieties of roses that is current. Many of the ones I see are a decade or two old and thus fail to include many of the roses I am interest in.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks for the help!

Comments (8)