SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nrynes

Pushing Zones in Southern Colorado? Enabling, please!

16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I would LOVE some help picking out roses for my new home! Any takers, esp from the Texas crowd?

I'm moving from a high-elevation, very cold part of Colorado (Z4/5) where winter temps typically dip to -20F for a week+, to a much warmer, lower part of Colorado at Z5/6 ish. In this new place, winter temps may dip to about -5F for a day and that's it (I've lived there before). Winter lows are typically in the 20s. The climate is really more like Albuquerque than Denver. Oh, summer temps in the new house will be more like Texas, but without the humidity (typically high 90s to 110). Soil is currently alkaline sandy clay, but I will amend heavily with compost and manure (similar soil to what I now have).

I'll be taking rooted babies of some of my current favorites, mostly once-bloomers, but I have an almost blank-slate in my new place for roses that like it a little warmer.

To give you an idea of climate, when I lived in this town before, I overwintered rosemary outside and set out my tomatoes and peppers in early to mid April. Unfortunately, I wasn't growing roses at that time, so I need some help picking out some new beauties for warmer conditions. I'd love some zone-pushing suggestions too!

The front of the new home has a stuccoed, cement-block courtyard that faces southwest. Full sun, late AM to evening - summer heat's an issue. The courtyard walls are 3 ft high on 3 sides with the house on the 4th (NE side), and the courtyard is about 20 ft deep by 60 ft long. This is where I want to push some zones!

What are your favorites for zone 6-ish conditions, either for the hot/courtyard side of the house, or for the cooler, east-facing garden? I need a few climbers and lots of suggestions for shrub-size roses. I prefer mostly repeat bloomers - my current once-bloomers are enough. I also want a few roses in pots, so need help there too.

Dare I ask it, are there any Chinas possible for a Z6 (protected) location? What other Austins and repeat OGRs might do well here? The current owner has some HUGE hybrid teas that are about 4 years old, growing nicely with the bud union above the soil line! I'm not a fan of HTs, I much prefer Austins and OGRs, but that might give you an idea of how things grow.

Come one, come all - all suggestions considered!

Nancy

Comments (5)