SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Feeding the Vintage band babies

jenn
11 years ago

My new bands from Vintage (Granada and Angel Face -- both VID) have been in their 1-gal pots for a week (plastic nursery pots) and doing well after spending a week in the shade during a heat spell. Our temps have been cool this week so I gave them their first feeding last Friday, a weak solution of Foliage-Pro complete fertilizer (Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro 9-3-6).

The Vintage site says to do the following after planting the bands:

Water in with a dilute organic fertilizer, [I used Foliage-Pro for this, though it is not certified organic] and follow up a week or so later with a top dressing of a time release fertilizer and a small handful of alfalfa pellets (rabbit food). Weekly feedings with a mild, organic liquid fertilizer like fish emulsion or kelp meal added to water are highly recommended.

I already have Rose-Tone time-release fert (which contains alfalfa meal) and fish emulsion (and also some liquid seaweed).

So, as long as days are cool, I'm planning the following:

-- A light sprinkle of the Rose-Tone this Friday (1 week following the initial feeding), and water in.

-- Alternate weekly thereafter with fish emulsion and Foliage-Pro.

Is there a problem with this plan?

Also: How moist should I keep the potting mix? The warmer the temps the more often I check, but if I haven't watered for a week and the soil feels damp, should I give them another liquid feeding?

Comments (15)