SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

List of no-spray Hybrid Tea's

luxrosa
15 years ago

In the San Francisco Bay area, within 5 miles of the Bay the most prominent rose foliage disease is

Powdery mildew

with blackspot being secondary, and more of a problem in Autumn.

These Hybrid Tea roses, thrive in a local public rose garden where they have never been sprayed, and these roses also received no fertilizer, or mulch and were not pruned for more than five years. These rosebushes continued to produce full flushes,during that time, and I'd reccomend them to gardeners in a similar climate, for health and beauty.

helpmefind.com/roses has photos.

'Dainty Bess', one of the most popular single row Hybrid Tea roses. One of the few of this class that is shade tolerant to a moderate degree.

'Dame de Coeur' luscious red.

'Diamond Jubilee' huge yellow roses. an AARS winner from the 40's, which means easy to grow.

'Etoille de Hollande' one of the 12 most fragrant red Hybrid Tea roses, i.m.h.o.. penetrating Damask rose type scent.

'First Prize' Huge pink roses with an ivory base, with a romantic bloom style. The semi-glossy leaves of this plant are pretty enough to be used in bouquets without needing 'filler' foliage. Good vase life.

'Harriny' Very fragrant. Not just another pink rose, Harriny has a very delicate bloom style, ultra-feminine, though long budded.

'Ophelia' one of the most productive blooming shorter pink Hybrid Tea rosebusehs.

'Peachblow' A rose of rich character. In a garden with over 200 types of Hybrid Tea roses, this one caught my eye. Pink and peach and lovely.

'Polly' cream to pink depending on the temperature. Delicious fragrance.

'Snowbird" This is one of the few H.T. roses that has a twiggy growth habit, similar to an Old Garden Tea and because of this, it is extrordinarily floriferous for a H.T... The blooms open wide, similar to 'Sombreuil'

'Sterling Silver' there are weak plants on the market, the best I've seen to date is from a nursery in Sebastopol, Ca.

'Sunday Lemonade' a pink sport of 'Lemom Spice' which to my nose is just as fragrant, but S.L. has more of a damask rose scent to it, and is less lemony.

'Sweet Sixteen' pretty and pink, and floriferous. short growing, 3' ownroot.

Pernetiana Hybrid Teas are a very special sub-class, which have, in my opinion, more character than most of the later sunset colored roses. Pernetiana roses thrive best where blackspot is not the most predominant rose foliage disease, and they have a special fruity fragrance.

'Ambassador'

a narrow bush, good for smaller gardens.

'Autumn'

One of the most beautiful of Hybrid Tea roses, hues of rich amber, rosy peach and in Autumn, violet hues. As a bouquet rose it is most impressive. I've never seen another rose like 'Autumn'.

'Talisman'

another short and narrow Pernetiana, perfect for a smaller garden.

'Girona' has two Pernetiana rose parents, and is very special, and very lovely, the petals have a good substance and it is a pretty pink blend, cut rose.

'Gruss an Coberg' many shades of amber, rich peach and yellow. One of the best of the H.T. class for quick re-bloom when promptly deadheaded.

I prefer own root rosebushes, because although they take a bit longer to take off, they produce far more roses past the 15 year drop-off line. After a rose variety has been budded onto rootstock, it produces well for

10 years (David Austin reccomends replacing roses on rootstock after 10 years.)

to 15 years. A respected rosarian (Mr.W.) who has budded many roses told me in a phone intervies.

Luxrosa

all the roses listed above are available this fall from vintagegardens.com (own root) and some are also available from hortico.com. (most are grafted onto Rosa multiflora)

I'd like to see a list of blackspot resistant Hybrid Teas from folks in the Midwest, and elsewhere

L

Comments (5)