SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyver

Hybrid Tea recommendations?

ladyver
16 years ago

I only have so much room in my garden, but every year I find myself buying more roses because I'm always in search of what I consider to be "perfect rose". The place I usually buy from really hiked up their prices this year, and I can't justify throwing out roses that didn't meet my expectations to replace them with a $22 bare root that may or may not meet my expectations. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? My criteria is as follows:

Long lasting in arrangements

Long stemmed

Flowers borne on single, strong long stem

Nice rose form (I like the forms of the 6 varieties I listed toward the bottom)

Relatively large blooms

Fewer thorns (Snowfire, Cary Grant, and Elizabeth Taylor were all great in theory, but the catalogs don't mention the mandatory blood donation when you cut these!)

Strongly scented (If a rose has exceptional vase life, then scent isn't important)

Out of the 50+ varieties I've owned, the following are the ones I just adore because everything about them is perfect (for me, anyway):

Full Sail

Double Delight

Della Reese

World War II Memorial

Veteran's Honor (barely scented, but lasts forever!)

St. Patrick (barely scented, but lasts forever!)

If anyone knows of some varieties that might fit the bill, and you have had it growing or have seen it growing, please let me know. I would truly appreciate it as my current list of roses to buy is getting out of hand again. It's another pre-order, so I only have catalog descriptions to go with and I've found they're not always accurate. :-/

Thank you in advance!

Sonja

Comments (31)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

What you need is Valencia--it meets all those requirements and is beautiful and disease-resistant!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Valencia

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

That is gorgeous you enabler you! LOL

How about Memorial Day, Tiffany,or Tahitian Sunset?

I really love tahitian sunset. I have had it for just over a month and it is on its second flush of blooms! It reblooms that quick! It is also very blackpot resistant. The colors change as the rose matures. Very beautiful.

{{gwi:316666}}

• Related Discussions

Recommendations for shrubbiest, most vigorous hybrid teas

Q

Comments (55)
    Cynthia: you are my savior many times !! THANK YOU. In June you saved me from killing Firefighter the 4th time. Thanks to you, I took that off from my buy-list, and Roses Unlimited gave me Pretty Lady Rose instead (bunnies killed that along with acidic grass clippings in 2020). I thought about buying Firefighter as grafted since I killed the own-root 3 times, then thanks to your post, I won't attempt it as grafted. Here's how I killed Firefighter as own-root 3 times: 1) 2014 tree-root invaded the 3rd-year own-root Firefighter. I should had moved it, but left it there, so it died when cane-borers took over due to lack of calcium (trees steal lots of calcium and water). 2) Bought 2nd gallon-size Firefighter. Since it's low-thorn waterhog, I experimented planting it next to a rainspout. It died from freezing rain in winter. 3) Bought 3rd band-size Firefighter. I don't trust my zone 5a winter, so I potted it inside my unheated garage. In Feb. the temp. inside my garage was freezing single-digit. My refrigerator broke down, and I was busy storing food inside the garage and I forgot to cover Firefighter with a thermal blanket.
    ...See More

First hybrid tea hybridized in U.S.

Q

Comments (4)
    Note that the rose shown in the piece is NOT 'Souv. de Wooten.' It is 'Radiance.' It has been said of 'Radiance' and her sports that they can be grown successfully anywhere people can live, and if that is an exaggeration, well, it's ALMOST true. :-) Doesn't 'Radiance' look to you to be the color of cotton candy? There is also 'Red Radiance' (which I love), 'Mrs. Charles Bell' (which I like less than 'Radiance') and 'Careless Love,' a striped rose of considerably less vigor than the other three of the "Radiance Clan." (There were also climbing sports, but they seem to be extinct.) 'Souv. de Wooten' was a RED rose. I have seen a contemporary illustration of it, and Bill Grant grows the Climbing version. The version Cliff has was found growing at a deserted homesite near Tehachapi, CA (which no longer exists) by Bert and Kay Grant. Jeri
    ...See More

How about your J&P 2007 Test Panel Hybrid Teas?

Q

Comments (3)
    re: "The mauve/lavender rose on the test panel hasn't been named yet but I really think it deserves to be commercialized as well as the other two." Check this out... They named it Sweetness and are introducing it for 2009. Here is a link that might be useful: JP Wholesale
    ...See More

Buying loose tea on line? Tea recommendations

Q

Comments (24)
    Another recommendation for Upton Tea Company. They have an excellent selection and their shipping dept is awesome. The package arrives in two or three days. DH likes flavored iced tea and drinks it all year round, so I order various flavored teas from Upton, i.e., apricot, black currant or mango. I make it in a coffeepot. They sell iced tea makers but I think a coffeepot works just as well. I like brewed hot tea, especially Nilgiri and Irish Breakfast. They have so many types, it boggles the mind! I'd love to try lots of them.
    ...See More
  • liane_z4_canada
    16 years ago

osiana is new, so it has not bloomed much. The roses however are beautiful, fragrants and long lasting. I do think it is also sold as a rose for the cut flower industry. It is apricot/peach in colour.
    Liane

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Bride's Dream fits the requirements and it is almost thornless.

Kate is right - you do need Valencia.

Actually a Meilland rose called Sonia was/is a florist rose. But, I do not remember if it is very thorny or not.

Frederic Mistral and Memorial Day are not very thorny, smell divine and pretty good cut flowers. Tiffany has mean thorns. In your part of the country Black Magic should work well - it has a long vase life but no scent.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Have you tried Marilyn Monroe? It is nastily thorny, but the flowers are so beautiful. They are well formed, last in a vase, and mildly fragrant. Black Magic is nice too, although Ingrid Bergman is very similar and has a scent so I'd recommend that one. Black Magic is a little bit darker and lasts longer though. The rose that lasts the longest in a vase for me is my unstriped Abracadabra. The flowers are a little small on it but they do have perfect form and last forever and have a lovely dark red that fades to purple.

You might want to take a look at the Kordes Freelander series of hybrid teas. I'm trying a couple of them next year as they are supposed to be good cut flowers. I'm getting Valencia next year too as I've heard such good things about it.

• ladyver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the recommendations so far!! I actually have Tahitian Sunset....vase life is average and I like to see it last a little longer. The thorns aren't horrendous, but enough to encourage me to keep the roses on the plant. :-) I was eyeing Valencia last year, I'll have to try that one! I actually have Tiffany on my list for this year, but with the thorns now I think I'll pass (thanks for saving me $20!). So Black Magic lasts longer than Ingrid Bergman? I had IB on my list.

Here are a few on the "list to buy" (not revised with the new recommendations yet). All I have to go on is the catalog and internet description on the following...anyone have experience with these?
    Memorial Day
    Lasting Love (too late, already impulse purchased)
    Gemini
    The McCartney Rose
    Ingrid Bergman
    Tiffany
    Typhoo tea (I can't even find this one...)
    Brandy

Usually I have a list of 12-15 bushes....I'm proud of myself for showing a little restraint...so far.... :-D

Oh, isn't the Sonia rose a grandiflora? That's how it's classified in the catalog I have here...maybe it's a mistake.

Sonja

• hershigrl
    16 years ago

Black Magic is terrific around here. It produces loads of perfectly formed blooms on long long stems. No fragrance that I can tell. I've also grown Ingrid Bergman. WOnderful blooms on shorter stems. It's a much shorter bush. My IB got about 4 feet tall. My BM is about 6 feet tall.

I would also recommond Secret and New Zealand. Full Sail is a color sport of New Zealand. Royal Highness is like Bride's Dream with fragrance. RH gets rust though.

- HershiGrl

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Try Sunset Celebration. It's got everything you want. If it has too many thorns, get yourself a thornstripper. Best tool ever invented. Or trim the mean ones with your pruners.
    Also on my list of good roses - Julie Newmar, Joshua Bradley, Just Joey, Color Magic, Honor and Mister Lincoln.
    Ones I might want if I had any room: Gemini, Spellbound, Sheer Magic, Sultry, Veterans Honor and Ingrid Bergman. This is a good thread for this time of year when we all get "rose fever".
    Happy shopping.
    Mary

• ladyver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Secret keeled over on me last year...it was one of the 12 new bareroots I brought in and the only one that didn't make it. I reordered it for this year since I think there must have been something wrong with that particular plant. The Chrysler Imperial to the left of it and Aromatherapy (where the heck is the scent??!) to the right of it are doing just fine. And I thought for sure I'd lose the Chrysler Imperial...the former owner planted it right outside the sliding glass door 25 years ago so that you'd run right into it. I dug it up and plopped it in the front yard and it's doing fine. I have New Zealand (came in with the aforementioned batch), but it's too new to tell yet, but so far so good! The scent is promising and the thorniness is appropriate (if I can't remember how bad the thorns are then the thorns are fine!). I'm looking forward to it when it gets well established!

OK, Black Magic will be going on the list...haven't heard of Royal Highness....off to find pictures.....

Thanks!

Sonja

• windeaux
    16 years ago

Sonja -- Do you want only grafted roses, or would you consider own-root? ('Typhoo Tea', for example, is available as an own-root plant.) And yes, 'Sonia' is classified as a Grandiflora. Is that a show-stopper? (A few of us agree with the British, and consider 'Grandiflora' to be a superfluous category.) 'Brandy' is a wonderful rose that seems to demand very moderate conditions. For me, it wasn't good in harsh winters, & it wasn't good in the heat of my present location. Perhaps it would do well for you, but ask others in you immediate location.

A few roses that might meet your criteria are 'Moonstone', 'Brigadoon' and 'Princesse de Monaco'. In addition to stunning flowers on lengthy stems, all of those have beautifully shaped, compact bushes with exceptional foliage.

Two others that have great substance & longevity as cut flowers are 'Marilyn Monroe' and one of her progeny -- 'Falling in Love'. Unfortunately they don't meet the thorn criterion you've imposed. Thorns on those two beauties are deadly.

• buford
    16 years ago

If you love DD, you will like Bella Roma. More yellow than cream, with a fantastic scent.

Also Barbra Streisand is very nice in a vase and has a great scent. I sometimes get more sprays than single roses, but the sprays look great in a vase.

• msjam2
    16 years ago

I second Sunset Celebration.

{{gwi:327265}}

• len511
    16 years ago

silver jubilee

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Osiana is a perfect florist rose, very elegant buds and blooms a LOT.
    The McCartney rose has wonderful perfume but the blooms do not last long at all. Same is true of Just Joey but I love her so much that I do not care if the blooms shutter in 2-3 days.

One of my absolute favorites for cutting is Papa Meilland. If you cut the flowers in tight bud stage (only the sepals opened) they can last a week, sometimes 10 days. Furthermore, Papa M is one of the most fragrant roses I have ever smelled. The only issue is where to find a good quality plant. I know that Palatine sends superb plants, I ordered my second PM from them last year. Question is, how you soil, in case it is too alkaline, would tolerate roses grafted on multiflora; although you can adjust your soil pH by sprinkling granular sulfur around the planting hole to lower the pH.

Rouge Royale is excellent for cutting; it (or he?) has wonderful fragrance and last a long time in vase. Maybe it is a bit thorny for you. Apropos! About reds... If you live inland California in a hot area, Uncle Joe/Toro would be perfect for you. Huge blooms packed with petals unfolding slowly and looking fresh for a long time - provided it is grown in a dry, non-humid but warm climate. I only had this experience with Toro 4 or 5 times in the four year I have this rose but my climate is extremely humid.

I didn't check Sonia 'pedigree' but I do see that rose quite often and she is always loaded with blooms on very long stems. (I just ordered it for myself)

Paris de Yves St. Laurent is a florist rose but available from various vendors as a grafted plant. The blooms last a very long time.

Imperatrice Farah produces very long lasting blooms.

Folklore is also good for cutting; it has thorns but not like Tiffany or Jardins de Bagatelle.

I am glad to hear it that Sunset Celebration is good for cutting - I have it but I haven't tried for the vase yet. Thank you Mary and Msjam for the reminder!

My other suggestion would be to talk to James Mills who is specialized in grafting florist roses on fortuniana rootstock. You can ask him which are those roses that fit your requirements. I think he can ship to California.

• phylrae
    16 years ago

Oh, I so love Paris d'Yves St. Laurent....had her once, and never forgot her! HAVE to get her again!

OTOH, we have Bride's Dream...she and Lagerfeld and Apricot Nectar just don't do anything for me...about ready to give away....they get JBs horribly and thrips or weather? turn their edges brown immediately. Rarely can enjoy their blooms at all.

Hoping to get Secret soon...Tiffany doesn't do anything for me...can't even smell her!
    Disneyland rose is incredible, for me, anyway. So is Bella Roma, WHEN she blooms.
    Gemini is great for us, so is Rouge Royale! Absolutely LOVE Pink Peace (smells as good as Double Delight!)
    Star of the Nile is awesome, though not the high-centered form you mention.

BTW, can you tell us about Della Reese, and where you found her? Always thought she looked good in pictures! :0) Phyl

• kublakan
    16 years ago

Before I invest my two cents, always remember that all of us have differing enviromental conditions that impact how our roses fair. With that said...

Moonstone: still the standard I hold everything else up to in form and size (not too much in scent).

Elina: Why don't you have this one already? Super healthy, bloom machine with light yellow (more like white) blooms that are huge, all supported on long strong stems. Scent is a "miss" on this one.

The following are stinkers for sure, although vase life suffers a bit...

Fragrant Cloud: where Just Joey has held back on me, Fragrant Cloud has produced arm loads of roses that smell so strong I have to move it to large rooms when its intense odor gives me a slight headache.

Diana Princess of Wales(sp?): great form, beautiful color, and good overall size places her on my list. She's a bit stingy on reblooming for me, the combo of size and scent keeps me on her case for more.

Fragrant Keepsake: I didn't know what this rose was when I bought it. I was just pleased with the size and the promise of a scented rose. Aside from my Fragrant Cloud, FK is the strongest smelling rose I own (Just Joey is a let down in scent for me, and I own three different bushes of him from differing sources). FK is similar to Diana, but much healthier and prolific.

Let us know what you decide and keep us posted on future developments!

Good Luck,

Adrian.

• jody
    16 years ago

I love Typhoo Tea - I have two. Probably a good rose in your climate - best with a little protection from afternoon sun, but it is not as long lasting as some of the others. It does however have incredible fragrance and the most beautiful bloom.

The best vase rose for me is Peter Mayle - fragrant, good petal substance, long straight strong stems and robust growth.

Try www.heirloomroses.com for Typhoo Tea.

• estreya
    16 years ago

The hybrid tea i chose is called "Beloved" and seems to meet all your noted criteria. Even as a novice rose grower, it's grown very well for me, and the flowers seem to last forever. I chose it because of its "classic" red color, all tango twists and shared heart beats.

{{gwi:327266}}

• ladyver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My husband is going to kill me....my list is going to be another long one! I guess I can blame it on him, anyway. When I first met him I told him not to waste money on cut flowers, so for our first anniversary he presented me with a dozen patent rose bushes (that's what got this whole thing started...). Some names mentioned above were in the original batch, but I only dug about 1/2 of them out when we moved. Drat. I order most of my roses from Armstrong's nursery here in So Cal. They're pricey, but if the plant dies on you 4 years later they'll still replace it. They have a rose catalog that they put out every year. Sigh.

To answer the question about Della Reese...I LOVE this rose. I'm 99% sure it's exclusive to Armstrong's, but in my SoCal garden it has fit the description to a tee http://www.armstronggardens.com/Rose_Library/ArmstrongCollection/ArmstrongCollection.html
    It meets all of my criteria....I just threw one out that's been in the vase for a week and a few days...quite a feat considering our house has been at 80 degrees inside lately. Armstrong's has a few other nice ones...two that I planted last year are Plum Crazy and Silverado, and while I'm not ready to write rave reviews (I won't rave until I get consistent results for two years straight), I think they might make my list of favorites once they're established.

Buford, I planted a Barbra Streisand last year and I've been getting sprays, too. I cut a spray from it for the first time last week and the scent is amazing! It's in an area of the yard that's very visible form the street, so I don't mind that it produces sprays. Most of my roses that meet my criteria don't get to keep their blooms, so maybe it's good that I have a few nice ones that I don't like to cut. I have a Grenada that fits that bill. I thought it would be good for cutting, but nope....it earned a spot by the sidewalk where it could bloom its little heart out. :-)

Grandiflora vs hybrid tea....I thought grandifloras produced had smaller blooms? Sounds like I might be misinformed. I was going off one experience. I bought an About Face the year it first came out and was disappointed...it was classified as a grandiflora and the flowers were significantly smaller than my other HTs. More profuse, but not the size I liked. And even though it was supposed to be a good cut rose, it lasted three days max. I loved the color combo, though.

• liane_z4_canada
    16 years ago

I have to agree that imperatrice farah is long lasting, it can look odd at times. It starts greenish fades to white and tans red in the sun. I find it is a nicer looking rose as it ages.

This is Folklore, one of my favorites, it can have short stems so I disbud the side buds for arangements. It is lovely.

I will post pictures of Osiana when I download my camera pictures. It is really long lasting I have one in a vase right now it has been there a week and is has a great fragrance also. Yes I have recomended it in a previous post.
    Liane

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

"Red Intuition" - a Delbard rose. Although no scent, but perfect for cut flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpmefind - red intuition

• ladyver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't even know where I'm going to plant some of these, but I seem to figure it out every year. Here is the revised list of roses I am contemplating....opinions are welcome!!!

Gemini
    Black Magic
    Valencia or Sunset Celebration, which one???
    Perfect Moment (I fell in love with the colors on helpmefind.com, anyone know the thorn situation or how long it lasts?)

I found out my Secret bush was NOT defective. I had it at the hottest spot in the garden and I just read Secret hates heat. Oops. Which of the roses above would do good in a full-sun spot? I was thinking Black Magic might....

I want to thank everyone for their recommendations, it was so hard to narrow it down. Even at this point I'm still tempted to add Moonstone and Royal Highness to the mix! But to add more would mean that Tahitian Sunset and Just Joey would lose their spots, and I really, really don't want to do that.

Sonja

• hershigrl
    16 years ago

Perfect Moment's blooms are made of iron. They last forever! In fact, if you don't deadhead them, they will just dry up on the blush still holding a rose shape. But, the bush is very thorny!! It's a terrific rose, but for the thorns.

- HershiGrl

• ceterum
    16 years ago

As to your question: "Valencia or Sunset Celebration, which one??? " since I grow both I can say that Valencia has much bigger flowers but, I believe, Sunset celebration gives more flowers.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Did you check out the new "Freelander" hybrid teas on Palatine roses website? These florist roses are bred for garden use and the website indicates their expected vase life, usually more than a week, in certain cases 12 days.

• ladyver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ceterum, I'm really net-savvy, but for whatever reason I can't find the Freelander roses. i tried searching before, but I couldn't locate them. I looked on the Palatine website and I don't see anything about vase life....palatineroses.com, right?

Does anyone have a pic of Perfect Moment's thorns? I don't mind some, but thorns like Snowfire's and Cary Grant's were really hard on me!

Sonja

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

That's the website for Palatine. I have the list of the Freelanders in front of me. They are: Caramel Antike, Cinderella, Corrie, Countess Sonja, Fantasia Mondaile, Golden Freelander, Ice Girl, Magma, Marvelle, Masquerade, Mondaile, Queen of Hearts, Red Queen, Red Taifun, Taifun, and Yellow Taifun. You can pull up the complete list of roses on Palatine's site by not filling in anything in the search, and then scroll down to those roses. It will list vase life in the description.

• ladyver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks athenainwi, I have it now. I don't know why I was having trouble!

Great....now there are more roses I want! Funny thing is, I was looking for Osiria all over the place and it turns out Palatine had it all along. Will most of the hybrid teas that Palatine sells do well in the Southern California climate, or do I need to be careful?

• ceterum
    16 years ago

What you have to know about roses from Palatine is that I have never got such big and healthy bare roots than I got from them - and I grow about 300 roses ordered from all over of the US and Canada.
    On the other hand, you should also know that their roses are grafted on multiflora. So, if your soil is highly alkaline, multiflora rootstock may not be the best for you except if you are willing to lower the soil pH by sprinkling elemental sulfur around the bushes to lower your pH.

About thorniness or other issues. If you decide to order from Palatine, I advise you to call them and ask. They are very friendly, extremely helpful and exceptionally honest.

P.S. I know about several people in CA who ordered from Palatine and are very happy with their roses but most of them garden in northern California only a few are from Southern Cal.

• jont1
    16 years ago

Royal William is a much underappreciated beautiful dark red I would highly recommend to anyone. Other good dark reds are Veterans' Honor, Ingid Bergman, and Beloved. Other good HT's are Marilyn Monroe, Mother of Pearl, Pope John Paul II, Tahitian Sunset, Moonstone, Fame, Strike it Rich, Gemini, Folklore, Pristine, Brides Dream, Pride of England, Pop Warner, Cajun Sunrise, Paul Shirville.
    John

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

If you are going to grow HTs then you must have Tiffany (I have 2), for the fragrance, color and form. Gemini is also a must have for me (I have 2). Another "must have" is Touch of Class, and its form sets the standard for modern HTs. And Veterans' Honor is an excellent red HT (there I said it). As is Let Freedom Ring (which I grow).

I don't like the form on Magma (Freelander). Parole has excellent form on large flowers and is fragrant.

The "climate" isn't the issue for you for roses from Palatine. The issue is that Palatine grafts to R. multiflora rootstock, see the thread linked below for the recent discussion. If you decide to take a chance on multiflora rootstock, Wisconsin Roses has many "exhibition form" HTs as "maidens" (newly budded bareroots), might not be for newbies, but easy to grow if you follow Steve's instructions to the letter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Multiflora rootstock in California?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting