SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misterleadfoot_z9

How to Make Crape Myrtle Cutting Have Multiple Trunks

I've have searched high and low, here and on the web, but there is not much info to be found on this subject, and the little info I did find is contradictory. I'd like a definitive answer, if possible, so I came to this web forum. I have lurked here for months, but this is my first post. Please forgive me if I didn't post this in the right forum.

As a first-time propagator of Crapes, I took two thin pencil-lead-sized cuttings of my Dynamite for rooting. Even with rooting hormone and plastic bag coverings, they took 4 months to root. Next time I will try larger cuttings, but I am happy to be batting .100 for now. :-)

They have both just leafed out. One is about 8" tall, the other about 4". I want multi-trunk trees out of these, but they are both growing on single stems right now. The one link I managed to find on the web was one in which someone had the same question. There were some answers that said to not touch the young'uns, and that they would naturally form multiple trunks. One other answer said to top the cuttings. I know from experience that there is no turning back once you top them, and I want to raise the PERFECT multi-trunk, un-murdered, Dynamite trees. Don't get me started about what my gardener did to my 8 ft Dynamite, right as it began to develop a nice tree canopy. In fact, I am in the process of "fixing" that one.

Anyway, does anyone know how I can ensure multiple trunks without murdering the leader on my new Dynamite babies for no reason?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)