SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Huge old Duchesse de Brabant

jacqueline9CA
13 years ago

Facing the sidewalk in the front of a side garden at my house are some very old old roses. I wrote here in another thread about our (I am afraid) dying ancient Le Vesuve (aka Grand Ave. Giant), and our efforts to prune/save it. Well, years ago I realized that there was another large old rose growing inside of the LV. It took years (I'm slow), but I finally noticed that some of the flowers were a different color of pink, and very cupped. Turned out to be DdB.

When the old LV died back, the DdB went crazy growing and blooming - suddenly it was a huge bush, instead of an invisible one that just showed a few flowers each year. When we finally got to pruning the LV, it turned out that there was a very large (5 inches in diameter) base cane of the LV that had grown right over the base of the DdB. It was sort of like a heavy log lying right on top of the base of the DdB. This was the half of the LV that was definitely dead, so we removed it. Since doing that, the DdB has put out new basil canes from its now no longer smushed base, and is even now putting out new growth, etc.

I think because it was a captive inside of the LV for so long, its growth is weird - very top heavy. The entire bush is about 8 feet tall, and was narrow. I say was because since the support of the LV is gone, large parts of it have fallen over, resting on the small clusters of branches that used to be on the top of it. My inclination is to leave them (there is enough room in the bed), and hope that new growth will sprout along the bent over large canes. I like roses that have been allowed to attain their "normal" size & shape. Next Spring I will look at it and prune it away from the path, and do some shaping. My question is, can anyone think of any drawbacks to this plan, other than esthetic ones (I realize that many folks like roses to be perfect & tidy - I don't).

Thanks for any ideas -

Jackie

P.S. For your info, next to the DdB on the side away from the LV is another huge old rose - a spray Cecile Bruner. It is self supporting, and crawling under it you can still see its "vase" shape. It is about 8 feet tall by 9-10 feet wide. As far as we can tell, all three of these roses were planted around the same time maybe 80-100 years ago - they are in a row just behind a low stone wall, which they drape over nicely. This is why I love love OGRs - at least in this climate, chinas, teas, & polyanthas RULE!

Comments (15)