SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Help me with some winter protection ideas???

cziga
16 years ago

This will be my first winter with my roses and I'm still a little unclear how to go about protecting them. I have a variety - mostly David Austins (The Prince, Evelyn, Molineaux, Fair Bianca, Sharifa Asma), as well as Belle de Crecy and Celine Forrestier. I know Gallicas are much hardier than the Noisette, for example, but I thought that since it was their first winter, they all would need some form of winter protection (some more than others).

Now that we're starting to get frosts at night, I thought it was time to get going.

The canes aren't long enough to bend them over into the ground, or anything like that. My roses are all still fairly small. Do I just mulch around the base? What would I use for mulch? Soil? Wood Chips? I'm hesitant to use leaves because the leaves that we mainly collect in our area are Maple leaves, and I heard that those are not the best choice. Would I put organic material into the soil to compost there for the winter underneath the mulch, or should I wait and do that in the Spring?

Some suggestions would be extremely helpful. I buried the crowns deeply when I planted the roses, so I should be alright on that end.

I really hope that I can over-winter all of them - even the slightly delicate DAs and the Noisette. Thanks a lot!

Comments (8)