SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Evergreen Old Red rose climbers and others.

luxrosa
11 years ago

Please tell me what I am missing.

A freind is staying with me, after her rental became unavailable and she is paying me rose rent.(yeaaa!) I have always been partial to white roses and pale roses and I've grown mostly Tea and Noisettes and I have never bought a red rose, but lately I've been coveting these in local gardens znc these 3 are shortlisted:

Climbing 'Cramoisi Superieur'

I love how it starts out crimson and then lightens to a cherry-crimson hue, and the silver red backs make a very pretty affect. I'd rate its' scent as 3-4 out of 10

Noella Nabonnand (H.T. that blooms as floriferously as an Old Garden Tea) Tres grande roses as a French person wrote, I love the occasional white streak in this red rose inherited from its' China rose ancestors. fragrance to me is 5-7 out of 10 depending on conditons.

Souvenir de Claudius Denoyal

If roses have character, this one seems sweet and approachable, I mean not overly formal. Blooms open wide and the color ranges from deep red crimson to crimson-scarlet, stamens show when wide open. scent is heavenly, though light to moderate. Floriferous and in our climate it has an extended bloom season and is in full bloom through early December, along with the other two listed above. although it is a Hybrid Tea, it has the rapid re-bloom of an Old Garden Tea, in our locale.

Delicous scent, light to moderate.

All three are disease resistant in local no-spray gardens, where conditions favor p.m. most often followed by b.s. and rust.

are there other evergreen red roses that I should know about? it would help if you could say where a rose is presently available.

Fragrance is important to me unless it shows really interesting foliage or bloom.

thanks, Luxrosa

Comments (5)