SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamary_gw

Cochets and others as climbers (Was: Is there a diagnostician...)

carolinamary
13 years ago

>Jeri said: If I could grow no other Teas, I'd be tempted to select the Cochets. They just can't be beat.

Hello again folks,

What about using Climbing White Mamam Cochet as a climber that needs to mount a wall for about the first ten feet without too much overstepping of about a 4.5' strip between two 8' tall windows (and then it would have a large area in which to spread up and to both sides)? Does it get too fat at the bottom to keep most of it leggy enough to climb up narrowly before spreading out much more above the windows? (Have you just guessed that we've never done this wall climbing thing before? Good!!! I do have plenty of How-to books and books about climbing roses, though.)

There is a space under the windows that's maybe 3.5 feet high at the shortest part in which some of the lower canes could move horizontally below the window height, and maybe 20' available to it laterally at ground level. There's another six feet or so for upward growth above the windows, where the lateral area is maybe 20 feet or so... except that there's roof room available for some overflow in one direction. (No good overflow in the other direction, but there's still a lot of room. This wall is prominently seen, and whatever rose gets chosen will be prominently featured in our landscape. Ideally, it would be evergreen in this protected location.)

Other roses being considered: Maréchal Niel, Ilse Krohn Superior, William Allen Richardson, Sun Flare, Bouquet d'Or, Reve d'Or (I know you do love this one, Jeri!), Lamarque, Sympathie, and that old favorite, Madame Alfred Carrière. We are not into spending a bunch of time coddling any plants here, so no-spray it will be, with scant pruning or tying above arm's reach. (A wooden structure will be erected a short distance from the wall for the rose to climb on, but the land slopes there and erecting a ladder will be tricky, not something to want to do frequently.) I'm guessing that MAC might be a bit too stiff to put up with the tiny bit of attention to shaping that she would get from us here at the upper reaches?

I already have a Renae that I could put there, but I just think another color would work better. If possible, we'd like something reasonably low in thorns there close to where we walk, and something reasonably vigorous for covering a fairly large area, but not anything like the banksias that swallow everything in sight. Snow Goose might work, but is a little less vigorous than ideal for the spot. We'd also like it to be a good rebloomer if possible, weighing in with everything else; we have a ton of spring flowers but need roses that perform in the summer and fall as much as possible. And since we pay a lot of attention to foliage, ideally I'd like foliage with some interest of its own. (Example: I love the fernlike foliage of Ghislaine De Feligonde. Don't want much, I know...)

I had originally selected a nice worry-free Climbing Pinkie for the spot but upon further consideration have decided that something other than a straight pink would show up better on the rather strongly colored orangish brown stained wooden wall. It's a south-facing courtyard wall, protected from winds from the north, west, and south. It gets full sun or close to it from about ten feet upwards, and less than full sun near the ground, but still pretty good sun from November through July even at ground level, with half a day's morning and mid-day sun at ground level in the shadiest months.

You might have guessed it, but I love whites, yellows, and apricots. (Pinks too, but there are plenty of other places for pinks.) I also love the color of General Schablikine, but have done a bunch of looking at possibilities with those shades and can't see a good contrast with our wall there. Red, especially deep red, would work on the wall, but for the most part I can't find anything with less than an average numbers of thorns (I'd probably like Red Cascade there except for its prickles). It won't matter if whatever goes there pales quickly in the sun; a very pale color will show up well on the brown stained wood. Other roses within the same sweep of the eye but farther out into that section of the yard: Ghislaine De Feligonde, Madame Plantier, Renae, Eutin. A little closer: Little White Pet. Very close: Grüss An Aachen (coming in the spring). And I might root some more Eutin to put right next to whatever climber does go there.

I like everything I read about White Climbing Mamam Cochet except that it might not rebloom as well as some others? Whether Maréchal Niel reblooms or not apparently depends on where you read about it. Charles and Brigid Quest-Ritson apparently think not, but I'm hopeful anyway; I'll probably believe the nursery who sells it to me if we go with that one... as so often what we have available here isn't really the same cultivar as those available in Europe. Landscaping note: we might end up planting a fall-blooming (frilly white) camellia Setsugekka on the corner of the wall to add a little contrast to the rose foliage. We already have that plant in a pot.

To everyone, if there are roses on this list that you grow/know about that you think ought not be considered for the particular spot we have in mind, please do help me to narrow down the list! Or feel free to suggest others you particularly like and think could do well as no-spray plants in North Carolina.

Thanks a bunch,

Mary

Comments (20)