SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Ocean Beach, New Jersey historic gardens

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

I was reading my "Old House Journal" magazine last night, and was reading a gorgeous article about the entire neighborhoods of Victorian houses with lovely gardens in this city. I was admiring the many lovely pictures of the lovingly restored/maintained houses, and the beautiful gardens. Eventually I noticed the oft used "seaside" adjective, and suddenly a cold chill went up my spine. I am totally ignorant about the geography of New Jersey. I re-read the article, and sure enough, it said that it was on the Northern coast of NJ. I just googled it, and of course it is actually on the Atlantic side of a barrier island - the worst possible place, and there are heartbreaking pictures of dozens of houses either totally destroyed, or more than half covered with sand.

Living in California, we are familiar with natural disasters, although wild fires and earthquakes are more likely here than hurricanes. It was just so shocking to be peacefully looking at the current issue of this magazine, and admiring all of those houses and gardens which I am afraid are no more. There is an old old saying - "There but for the Grace of God go I", which is sort of my feeling.

I was happy to hear that even our local power company, PG&E, has sent crews to the East Coast. My DH and I are now having serious conversations about getting a generator (gasoline, or propane, what are the drawbacks/benefits of each? etc. - thank God he is a retired contractor, and competent to handle this subject), updating our "The Big One" earthquake disaster preparedness (almost everyone in CA has some sort of food, water storage, other preparations, etc, but they are never enough), etc.

Everyone should have flood insurance anywhere near any coast. I looked into the Govt flood insurance, and it was a joke - mostly because they would only insure about 20% of what our house would cost to re-build, and REFUSED to allow you to carry any sort of large deductible to cut costs, and DID NOT cover any damage to basements or the contents thereof. However, I was overjoyed to find out that the private company we already have our house insurance with, Fireman's Fund, would insure our house for the same exact value it is insured for for fire, would completely cover our basement, and would allow (but not require) us to carry the same large deductible we carry on the house ($10,000) to reduce the cost. We are 4 1/2 blocks from SF Bay, and only at 6 feet above sea level, so we are in a possible flood area. So, don't let anyone tell you you can only buy flood insurance from the Govt - that is not true. Also, if you have it on your homeowner's policy, you will not get caught between two entities both claiming it is covered on the other guy's policy...

Unfortunately, it is true in CA that only the Govt will provide homeowners' Earthquake insurance - we have that too, inadequate as it might be.

Sorry for the off topic post, but I feel it is so important for everyone to think about getting ready for disasters BEFORE they happen - and please pray for the folks on the East Coast.

Jackie

Comments (7)