SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smlechten

Clear Open-Topped Hotcaps from Recycled Water (etc.) Bottles

smlechten
14 years ago

At some point during my extensive research phase (because I'm weird like that, and even enjoy the IRS.gov website) for my winter sowing experiment I found the section on Trudi's wintersown.org site about the water bottle hot caps: (http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Transplanting_Tomatoes.html) and loved it. It seems like the perfect answer for my rabbit/squirrel problem. I have put out rabbit and squirrel food in hopes of enticing them away from the garden, but the squirrels are not interested in handouts and that only worked with the rabbits in spring/early summer - they dessicated my late summer planting for my fall harvest. Trudi explains that the hotcaps will protect young seedlings from most insect, animal, and bird damage - but I'm wondering about why they are called "hotcaps." Is this like a semi-cloche? Will it protect some against cooler (not frost but say 40-50F) night temps? I was hoping that if it kept the plants a little warmer, that may be a benefit for my peppers and tomatoes, possibly resulting in a slightly earlier harvest. I tried a search on this forum, and I think it was maybe Token that mentioned using something similar and some responders indicated that it may get too hot during the day. Do you think that would be the case with 50-75F day temps? I have been diligently saving my gatorade bottles (a little taller and wider than water bottles, we use the smaller ones during cold/flu season for the boys, and someone biggers ones for us. No water bottles though, we use tap water in polycarbonate reusables). I figure bigger is better in this case, it will give the plant a little more room to expand before it outgrows the protection, and the open area is wider for better air flow. I'm pretty excited to try this. It seems a lot easier and cheaper than the complex fencing system I wanted my engineer husband to build me despite the fact that he insists he's not that kind of an engineer. I just don't want to miss something important with my enthusiasm and end up cooking my seedlings instead of protecting them. Thanks again for the input. I know I'm probably overthinking the whole thing. I'm willing to go fit and give just about anything a try, but I do really like to get things right if I can. I figure if someone else has already done the experiment, made the mistake, figured something out - then there is no need for me to recreate it from scratch.

Thanks to all (and especially Trudi),

Sherri

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting