SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Researching Found Roses

hartwood
16 years ago

I love found roses. It may have something to do with my addiction to anything historic, combined with my affection for stray cats and shelter dogs. Who knows exactly what it is -- I'm just facinated.

I'm also a tireless researcher. I've done genealogy since I was in my late teens (a LONG time ago). I spent two years researching my house to put it on the National Register of Historic Places. I traced the pedigrees of my greyhounds and searched out littermates. I even bought a framed marriage certificate at a thrift shop and researched the people on it.

It seems a perfect fit for me to research my found roses. I would love to be able to put this into a presentation that I could do for rose societies and garden clubs, along with an article (or articles) for publication. With some tutoring from my daughter, I'm sure it would make a great subject for a Power Point presentation. I've decided to turn this into my winter project.

I have done some preliminary searching online, and I have come to the conclusion that most of the info on found roses is carried around in the heads of a few individuals. Some of the biggies (Maggie, for instance) are well documented. Most stories seem to be passed down like oral histories. Rose de Rescht and Amanda Patenaude/Portland from Glendora are so common in commerce, it would be great to be able to show others where they came from. Peggy Martin's rambler made it big with a spread in Southern Living magazine this summer. Jeri did an article on some found roses in the ARS Annual a couple years ago.

What I'm looking to do is to find who collected various roses. Where? When? and, most importantly, does the mother plant still exist and are there photographs? It's frustrating that those who know this stuff haven't put it in some central spot -- the comments section of HMF seems like a logical location. Why reinvent the wheel, right?

In my garden now, I have:

Arcata Pink Globe

Brightside Cream

Bryan Freidel Pink Tea

Caldwell Pink

Carnation

Champagne Arches

Grandmother's Hat

Haywood Hall

J. E. Murphy's Pink Tea

Maggie

Manchester Guardian Angel

Miriam's Pink Powderpuff

Mrs. Woods Lavender Noisette

Old Gray Cemetery

Peggy Martin

Portland from Glendora

Secret Garden Musk Climber

Spice

and I will soon be adding:

Hoag House Cream

Puerto Rico

Pleasant Hill Cemetery

I don't necessarily want to limit my research to only the roses that I have. If there are others out there that you think I should include, let me know.

Where should I go from here? Any suggestions, and private conversations, are welcome and appreciated.

Connie

[c . hilker @ comcast . net]

Comments (49)