SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Glorious Rain

melissa_thefarm
16 years ago

After our long, long summer drought and a year and a half of well below average rainfall, in late October we got eight inches of wonderful rain. This was enough to fill the gaping cracks that had opened in the clay ground, but not enough to give significant runoff: the stream Chiavenna in the bottom of our valley remained silent. I said that I would stop water-saving measures when I could hear the Chiavenna roar. November has been dry and warm for the season and I was afraid of a repeat of last year's unprecedented warm winter. Then it started to rain, drizzle on Thanksgiving turning to rain in the evening, then rain all the next day, then hard rain with lightning and thunder in the evening, and rain again all night and this morning. This morning we check and we have gotten at least 3 1/2" of rain (the pot overflowed). Marvelous. And the Chiavenna is roaring. All this makes me hopeful that this year we'll have a fairly normal winter and won't be in danger of running out of water next summer, as happened in 2003.

This winter I placed my first order from the German nursery Schultheis, twenty-two roses, almost all antiques and primarily Damasks followed by Albas and Centifolias with a couple of species. I also got the deep red HT 'Oklahoma' which I loved years ago and which I hope might like our climate, though conditions here are usually too tough for hybrid teas. They forgot 'Bullata', but the rest of the order arrived, very good sturdy plants that took only three days to get here. I ordered from Schultheis because although the availability of old roses in Italy has increased greatly in late years, and one nursery, La Campanella in Padova, has a serious collection of Gallicas, still many fine old roses aren't available in this country. I also have a large order of old roses with La Campanella, mostly Gallicas, and am hoping to get an order with a French nursery specializing in warm climate roses. I think Piacenza needs a serious rose collection in its territory.

My cuttings from friends are doing well--naturally, since I put way too many cuttings per pot, they're all growing--and I also took a lot of cuttings from my own roses this year, being more organized than is always the case. 'Sempre in salita!' ('Always uphill') is our motto, but in time we may have a good garden. Especially if it continues to rain.

Happy gardening, everyone! What are your dreams?

Melissa

Comments (17)