SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

Rose "Legacy of John Mathieson"

fogrose
10 years ago

I purchased "Legacy of John Mathieson" at last Saturday's sale at the Sam Jose Heritage Rose Gardens. I bought it on a whim because no one was able to tell me anything about it other than it's a Hybrid China.

Hoping one of you...Anita?, Jeri?...can give me some information. Size and color would be a start.

Diane

Comments (13)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

No idea, but how fun if you have to wait until Spring to find out!

Jackie

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Sorry, Diane. I don't know that one.

I can tell from the study name, this is one of the roses Ed Wilkinson collected, when he was Curator of the Collection. Probably the only person who could tell you would be Jill Perry, the current Curator.

Jeri

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jackie, I guess patience is a virtue here so I will have to take a deep breath.

Hi Jeri, already asked Jill when I bought it. She didn't know.

Diane

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Interesting! Too bad the provenance is lost!

Jeri

• cemeteryrose
    10 years ago

Can't help you, Diane. It's not included in the SJHRG on-line catalog, it seems. And we don't grow it (at least not under that name) in the Sacramento cemetery.
    Anita

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks anyway, Anita. Will just have to wait and see. Googling it brought up zero references so it really is a mystery.

Rosefolly, I saw Edith Perry listed for the sale. Looks like a great rose.

Diane

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I couldn't find anything googling either. Tried several spelling variations to no avail.

I hope your rose turns out to be a treasure.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

FWIW -- What I DID find, looking through CA burial records, was a John Mathieson, born in the 19th century, d. early 20th century in Oakland, CA. (Cemetery not identified.)

Since "Mathieson" isn't apparently a common spelling, I'd make a flying guess that Ed found this rose near Mathieson's grave in one of the older Oakland Cemeteries.

Jeri

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Wow! That's really neat. You may have the only one in existence....no pressure.....
    Can't wait for a photo!
    Susan

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri, that's very interesting!!! Thanks for looking it up.

OK everyone, photo in the spring if I get any blooms. It may need to grow more before putting on any show.

Diane

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Diane -- It strikes me that Ed Wilkinson, who almost-certainly collected it, might be able to tell you something about this rose.

Last information I have on him dates to 1995, when he was a member of East Bay Rose Society, and still connected with the Morcom Rose Garden.

Jeri

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jeri, I'll ask Jill Perry and see if she knows how to contact hum.

Diane