SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Multiflora in Florida or No Multiflora, that is the question

sherryocala
16 years ago

I have read that Multiflora rootstock is pretty much the worst rootstock for Florida sandy soil. Then why is Tausendschon recommended on its own roots. Should it be recommended on it own roots. What about other varieties such as Hybrid Musks and Polyanthas that have Multiflora in their backgrounds?

Dr. Malcolm Manners has a list (Roses that can be grown in Central Florida without spraying) in the back of Barbara Oelbeck's book, "For the Love of Roses in Florida and Elsewhere", where he lists the recommended Root System for these roses. LaMarne, a Polyantha, can be grown either own-root or grafted on Fort; Perle d'Or, a Polyantha - only Fort; Spray Cecile Brunner, another Polyantha - either way; Tausendschon - either way.

I guess my brain just wants to know if there is a "formula" here (Of course, there's no formula, dumb head!) that would shed light on the likelihood of success for some roses on their own roots, specifically Marie Pavie and Marie Daly.

I've also read that Hybrid Multiflora is considered a noxious weed in Florida. Then why doesn't the rootstock work?

This also leads me to ask why some Chinas are good on their own roots and others are not. As well for some Teas. Is this strictly anecdotal or is there genetics involved - more or less China "in their blood"?

With the problem of not being able to obtain the roses I want (conveniently) on Fortuniana it would be nice to be able to make a more educated guess about my choices rather than buy something that just won't succeed here.

I have Tausendschon on its own roots, and I just can't help but be worried about it. (The rest of my life is perfect so this is the only thing I have to worry about.) I just wish I knew why it's OK.

I apologize for all of these "Why is the sky blue, Daddy?" questions, but I really want to know.

Thanks for the science lesson.

Sherry

Comments (13)