SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pat_inmygarden

Lawn Problem (Zoysia)

pat_inmygarden
14 years ago

I am blessed to live on the same land my mother grew her daylilies on, and over 25 years she amended the hard red clay into some beautiful garden soil. But I am plagued with weeds (same good soil) and Black Grasshoppers, which I HATE.

Neither of these is the source of my lawn problem. In the past few years, a patch of lawn in the front, Zoysia section of my property has deteriorated, getting worse every year. I have tried feeding it, using grub control, and finally today (got some dry weather) I tried a fungicide.

The Zoysia grass has just started to disappear. There are bare patches the size of a dinner plate in an overall roughly circular area about 8 feet across.

And most recently, I'm seeing little holes appear in the area - like a squirrel was digging up acorns or pecans. But it is not squirrels. I've dug up test patches over the past and never really found any grubs, but I'm beginning to think it is some sort of caterpillar or grub or cutworm that I'm just not able to visualize.

Anyone have a sweet solution to this problem? Or have you run into a similar problem and did your lawn survive? I don't want to slice the top layer off and put down new sod which may run into the exact same problems as the old sod, because the problem is still there.

Comments (8)

Sponsored