SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

need advice re rose hedge

jacqueline9CA
14 years ago

I am looking for advice about what rose to use to build a short to medium sized rose hedge. The problem is that I need to plant it in the next month, so it can get rained on all through our mild wet winter, in the hopes that it would bloom in the Spring. I realize that this may be impossible. Are there ANY kind of roses that will bloom 6 months after you plant them?

I don't care if they are modern ground covers, or what. My family is getting a deceased relatives house ready to go on the market next March/April. The house is on land that ascends up a hill. At the street front, there is a 3 foot tall brick retaining wall next to the sidewalk. Just behind the wall, growing in a bed that is level with the top of the wall, is an ancient decrepit half dead 2 1/2 foot high hedge. It is coming out, and I want to know if there is any fast growing rose we could put in as a new hedge. As explained, it would have to bloom next Spring. I don't care if it has grown together into a real hedge yet, as long as each bush blooms a lot. The area gets plenty of light. The length of the bed is about 100 feet. Willing to spend money buying larger plants, etc.

If this is impossible because any rose would take longer to get established & bloom, are there any other flowering plants anyone could recommend that we could use? Climate is Mediterranean. Good drainage, because the bed is 3 feet higher than the street. There are lots of happy azaleas in that part of the garden, but I was hoping to have some different plants too.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have -

Jackie

Comments (6)