SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_new_orleans

Papa Meilland or Red Masterpiece?

OK folks, I know; another red hybrid tea question. I read every red rose thread here with great interest. But I haven't seen answers to my specific question above. Papa M. appears to be much better known, and some folks rave about it. But I've also seen a couple of posts over time from some who loved Red Masterpiece. I'm thinking they might be kind of similar. Both big, full, very fragrant red blooms, great for cutting. Both susceptible to powdery mildew. I'm trying to decide between the two, and most nurseries don't sell both. Roses Unlimited does, but then I'd have to commit to buying a third rose, and I already am going to have to "create" a space for the 1 or 2 I buy.

Does anyone have any experience with both of these roses to know how they compare and differ? If not, I welcome any first hand experience with either. General health, size, how prolific, fragrance, how quick to establish, etc.

Incidentally, in case you feel compelled to recommend a different red HT, here are ones I already have or have grown at some time:

Chrysler Imperial

Mr. Lincoln

Olympiad

Opening Night

Deep Secret (small, but I LUUUV this one)

Erotica

Ingrid Bergman

Proud Land

Dame de coeur

Veteran's Honor

Black Magic

NEAR-REDS

Alec's Red

Fragrant Cloud

Ain't She Sweet

Thanks

Mike