SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Questions about Princess de Lamballe, and Duchesse de Montebello

cziga
15 years ago

I'm looking for a rose I heard about a while back - I think it was called Princess de Lamballe? I remember it being white, probably an Alba. I've been searching my Canadian rose suppliers (Pickering and Hortico) and the only listing I found was at Hortico. They list it as an alternate name for a rose "Bourbon Queen" (aka: Queen of Bourbons, Queen of the Bourbons, Reine de l'Ãle, Bourbon Reine des Ãles, Bourbon Souv. de la Princesse de Lamballe, Souvenir de la Princesse de Lamballe) which is apparently loosely cupped, pink bloom, veined darker & paling at edges; vigorous; may be used as a climber; once blooming spring/summer. NOT what I was expecting. Is this the same rose I am thinking of, or is this another? Is there a white arching alba called Princess de Lamballe?

Also, I have a spot in part shade (in the shade of a large Maple Tree). It does get some dappled sun, some direct sun as well but not for nearly 6 hours per day. I was thinking of putting Duchesse de Montebello there. Gallica would bloom earlier in the year before the tree has completely filled out. It sounds thornless and fragrant. I was wondering if this rose would grow in part-shade? Also, is this one of the gallicas which tends to sucker a lot, or only a little bit? It is not the best location for a gallica thicket, so if it suckers a lot, it wouldn't be a good choice. I need something to grow up against the fence and block us from the road a little bit.

Comments (7)