SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696490

Freshly tilled bed; a little help w/ companions

User
15 years ago

These are a couple of pictures of my freshly tilled driveway bed. {{gwi:317006}}

{{gwi:317007}}

I have selected the roses for the bed as follows from left to right:

Lyda Rose, Duchesse du Brabant, Arethusa, Clementina Carbonieri, Mother of Pearl GF, Comtesse du Cayla. If I have room on the corner I will throw in Lilian Austin.

I am trying to plan the companions over the winter and I knew you would all be of great help. I have a list I am considering. The bed is about 3' by 25' and if I plant the roses a little higher than halfway up, I have about 1.5 feet by 25 feet to fill. The way I was told to determine the number of plants was Sq Footage divided by 2.25. That would leave room for about 16 plants. Please tell me if I am thinking about this the right way.

Do I have room for some clematis in between? The other companions I am considering are:

Campanula

Perennial Foxglove

Cranesbill

Lavender

Salvia

Veronica

I would like something trailing over the edge so maybe the veronica or cranesbill would fit the bill. Does cranesbill have a much longer bloom period? Also many of these are upright and spiky so I will need to choose some that are more rounded, right?

I would like drifts of color and I don't know how many plants equals a "drift."

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Comments (16)