SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pat_bamaz7

Marie van Houtte - Do I have another mislabeled rose?

pat_bamaz7
9 years ago

I got this rose as a one gallon late in the summer last year. She grew more than bloomed at first, so I really didn't get a good idea of what the blooms were going to look like. After the polar vortex winter we had, MvH spent time recovering rather than blooming until it really started heating up this summer. Her blooms have been big and beautiful, but never start out with the pale yellow/white centers that I hoped for and seen in pictures. I assumed that was due to the heat , and she would start showing more yellow in the cooler fall. That hasn't been the case. She often starts out a very pale pink with dark pink edging and a touch of yellow at the base, but for all intents and purposes, she is a pink rose...a lovely pink rose. She holds her blooms up at least as often as they nod, and she often has a knotted center that never fully "unknots"...I don't see that in most pictures of MvH, either. I added Maman Cochet this summer, and she looks suspiciously like my Marie van Houtte. There are subtle differences in bloom size and color, but that may be due to Maman Cochet being younger...the leaves, new growth, prickles and bloom form look pretty much identical. I can't detect much fragrance from either rose. I know MvH is a parent of Maman Cochet, but I wasn't expecting them to look so similar. Do you think I have the real Marie van Houtte, or another Maman Cochet or do you have another guess as to what my Marie van Houtte may be?

{{gwi:316257}}

{{gwi:316258}}

{{gwi:316259}}

{{gwi:316260}}

{{gwi:316261}}

{{gwi:316262}}

{{gwi:316263}}

{{gwi:316264}}

{{gwi:316265}}

{{gwi:316266}}

{{gwi:316267}}

Comments (11)