SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Ideas, please, for a centerpiece rose

sherryocala
15 years ago

I cut a round bed in the middle of my circle of grass in my front yard garden (an all-day, full southern sun location.) All along I've been searching for "small" roses that will fit in my small yard, but for this situation I realized I can go "big". Another light dawned the other day: a bush-form noisette since I have Natchitoches Noisette in the back, and it is a nice and round, healthy and well foliated all the time, so in the search I found Ronda's photo on HMF of Blush Noisette. What a thrill, and that was it! It looked like a constantly blooming healthy bush, able to be kept in bounds with pruning. BUT...I have a Bubble Bath directly behind this spot close to the house. So one day I will have a big round white rose and another bug, round white rose filling up my garden. Maybe this would create continuity, but throw in the fact that many of my roses in front (Marie Pavie (2), Clotilde Soupert (2)) are white or fade to white (Jean Bach Sisley), and I'd be left with a white garden, but I like color - strong color.

I have a Fortune's Double Yellow in a pot that I have had no earthly clue what to do with until last night. I posted a question about the practicality of putting this rose in this spot, so we'll see about that. It's a once-bloomer, and aside from it being a nice green bush most of the year (would it?), it may not be the right choice for a "centerpiece".

I've looked for other noisettes that are colorful, namely Mrs. Woods' Lavender Pink Noisette. Does anyone have experience with this rose?

I was also thinking of Mrs B R Cant. I can kinda see her there at maturity with that tall, tree-like canopy of blooms in the center of the garden. (I can get a 3-gal, own-root locally.) I think she's pretty impervious to BS here, though the teas, except for Monsieur Tillier, have disappointed me with their leaflessness all summer and even now.

So, I would love all of your thoughts on this dilemna. I had even thought of the bigger thicker-caned, climbing-type noisettes trimmed as a bush.

Thanks all!

Sherry

Comments (39)