SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jody_gw

Pruning Tea Roses

16 years ago

Dare I open this subject again.

To be honest, I can't sort out from what I've read how to prune or not to prune teas. Also to be honest, if they get entirely unreasonably I start hacking at them. Further into the honesty thing I'm not all that fond of the whole branching at 90 degrees thing, but not so unhappy with it that I'd give up teas.

My zone is apparently comfortable for teas -- even the spring freeze this year didn't cause them any real damage (some of them had no damage at all). The trouble is they become bullies even in locations where I've planted them 6' on center. Either there is going to have to be some pruning happening or I'm going to have to come up with different locations. I may have to plant them down the property line (the great wall of teas) which would be too bad - I couldn't enjoy them as much there.

I saw David Stone cut a tea way back during his pruning demonstration (with Ann wincing the whole time). I'd like to know how that bush looked this season. I know folks in borderline zones have to be very careful of their teas, but I am interest in hearing from folks in tea happy zones on the management issue.

Comments (27)