SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecorgis

Suggestions for Rose for Mom with Cancer

rosecorgis
15 years ago

My 74 yr old mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer that has already spread. She feels perfectly fine and it was found during a regular exam. Everyone is in a lot of shock and I want to do something nice for her.

My mom is a fabulous gardener. Her yard won an award from the city of San Mateo for best yard maintained by owner (no gardeners). When I was growing up, she always had roses - Tropicana, Duet, Sterling Silver (which she managed to keep looking pretty good), and a white that she eventually replaced with Honor. She pulled out Peace because it was a tall, awkward bush. About 10 years ago, she took them all out because she had a kidney removed and refused to use any type of poison.

I'd like to get her a rose that she'll like - vibrant, prolific, nicely shaped bush, no spray, disease resistant. Nice scent is good, but I think she prefers color and lots of flowers. I rarely remember her cutting them to bring indoors, so I think she prefers to enjoy them on the bush.Her yard has good sun most of the day and is in zone 9. I don't think she has room for a huge rose or a climber. Something that would fit in a pot would work, as would a moderately sized bush in the ground.Hopefully, I could get it locally (maybe Regan Nursery) because I don't want her to wait for flowers from a band. Primarily, this must be an easy care rose. We have no idea how long it will be before she starts feeling pain and can't garden any more.

Thank you for any suggestions. Mom spends a lot of time in yard puttering around with her hanging pots, hand watering and just reading. I'd like to put a smile on her face everytime she goes in the backyard.

Debbie

Comments (9)