SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

How Many of Your Landscaping Goals Have You Met?

I was looking through my rose journal today and came across a list I'd made of features I wanted to have in my garden. This is what I came up with:

1. Eliminate all plants and roses that are not great, for whatever reason, and minimize work and water usage. (I've certainly eliminated, but haven't minimized because I keep adding more roses)

2. Have close plantings of large, beautiful and interesting roses (variety in flowers, leaves and growth habit), along with compatible companion plants. (need more time to achieve this, but have good number of potentially large teas and some other varieties)

3. Harmonious Color Combinations (pretty good, at least in my humble opinion)

4. Include Arbors and Pergolas. No arbors, do have large overhead structure but no way to plant roses on it since sunny side has very steep dropoff)

5. Have places to sit in the garden. (two areas on opposite sides of house, difficult to find other usable areas)

6. Create an Air of Mystery with Partially Hidden Areas. (achieved only in that front, side and back gardens are hidden from each other by the house; this goal does not otherwise seem attainable with my layout, except that the garden slowly reveals itself to anyone coming up the long, steep and winding driveway)

7. Create Vertical Interest. (partially achieved with cypresses flanking driveway, and crape myrtle and butterfly bushes)

8. Have some dramatic focal points. (don't really have anything terribly dramatic)

9. Have a color theme in each separate area. (partially achieved, but roses are still overwhelmingly pink and various shades of white)

1. Decrease number of roses to 50 to 60. (failed miserably, number has actually increased to about 95)

2. Mulch and fertilize plants for optimal performance. (reasonably good, could be better)

It would be fascinating to know if any of you have similar wish lists and how far you've come toward achieving them.

Ingrid

Comments (21)