SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewbarocco

new color in roses (cyan celebration) an alkaline ph mutation!

AndrewBarocco
10 years ago

I couldn't believe my eyes when it happened. The other day when I was tending to my roses and checking on the status of pollinated hips, I rejoiced as the sport I discovered on Angel Face several days prior was finally opening up. This is what happened.

The strange gray bud had caught my eye earlier in the week and I decided to keep a careful eye on it. While the sun was setting several days later I had to rub my eyes as I looked at the sport and noticed a very light, faint hint of cyan or sky blue. I know what you're thinking and no, this was not the usual "Blue Girl" type of stuff we are all used to seeing or a gray like "Amnesia" but rather a true light cyan mixed with subtle hints of sea green! I think the neighbors were a bit confused as to why I was examining it for such a long time. I will say one thing though, the camera does not pick up the "true" color as you would see it. The same effect happens if you try and take a picture of Ebb Tide, Twilight Zone, or Stormy Weather. The camera just cant get it right sometimes!

I thought about why this new color was being expressed and I developed a theory. Roses already produce a blue pigment Cyanidin, but it appears red or pink because of the pH aka high acidity of the petals. This is the same problem Suntory has. Even after forcefully putting the blue genes for Delphinidin in Applause, it still looks like just another Blue Girl because of the petal acidity. My theory was that this MUST be a sport that is causing the rose petals to have an alkaline composition instead of acidic, thereby turning the cyanidin blueish.

I decided to test my theory by running a pH analysis of the sport which I am naming "Cyan Celebration", Angel Face and other roses. I will post the results below, but first here are some pictures of my new rose Cyan Celebration. Note that these were all taken on an iPhone 4GS, they have not had their color photoshoped or edited in any way, and cameras' can have trouble capturing accurate representations of a roses color. Trust me when I say though, this rose has hints of light cyan in person!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting